Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Maarten Mulders <mt...@apache.org> on 2021/11/09 10:52:18 UTC

Eat our own dogfood

Hi all,

In the last year, we've seen multiple situations where a change in Maven core
prevented Maven from building itself [1][2].

On the path to stabilising Maven towards Maven 4, I think this isn't helping
us. That's why I propose we introduce an additional GitHub action. Let's call
it the "eat our own dogfood" check: build Maven Core, then use that build to
build Maven Core again.

Maybe it's possible to do it on Jenkins, too. I'm less familiar with our
Jenkins setup, that's all...

What do you think?

Thanks,

Maarten

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-7087
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-7319

Re: Eat our own dogfood

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
There's another project that is suffering from this change:
https://github.com/quick-perf/maven-test-bench

This is a benchmark comparing the performance on a specific commit on
Camel (as it is a huge project)
It would be great if we could have statistics on a wide range of Maven
version.
There are a couple of options:
- restore the constructor causing the issue (if the removed class is
still on the classpath, this would be a easy  and valuable change)
- select a different commit (and/or project)

thanks,
Robert

Re: Eat our own dogfood

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.

Still does: http://vmgump.apache.org/

--

*Gavin McDonald*
Systems Administrator

Re: Eat our own dogfood

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@hammant.org.INVALID>.

Re: Eat our own dogfood

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
This should be done as part of Mavens own build.
Don't rely on uploaded versions, there's always a gap where another job
could have uploaded a different version.
If things start to fail, it could be hard to reproduce it.
It should be the one that has been built and stashed, so you can unstash
and unpack it in a new stage.

Robert

Posted by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>.
Hi,