Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Ryan J Baxter <rj...@us.ibm.com> on 2011/01/06 15:59:43 UTC

Non HTML Container Implementations

Does anyone know of, or has anyone implemented a container that is not
written in HTML?  Some of my team's use cases would require us to have a
container that is implemented in SWT.  As I look at more and more
containers I am noticing there is some container <-> gadget communication
that happens.  For example gadgets.window.setTitle.  If my container is
some type of SWT component than this makes things a little difficult, at
least in my eyes.  Imagine for example you have an Eclipse perspective,
and as you know each perspective can have have multiple view parts. Inside
each of the view parts in the perspective there is a gadget.  This design
is very similar to the iGoogle concept.  However in my case when a gadget
in the view part calls gadgets.window.setTitle I would expect that call to
set the title of the view part.  This would imply some Javascript <-> Java
communication happening.  This communication would be easy if there was a
guice module that gadgets.window.setTitle called into, because then I
could replace that guice module with my own implementation.  However it
looks like the setTitle feature is using gadgets.rpc.  My understanding is
that gadgets.rpc is for container <-> gadget, gadget <-> gadget, and
gadget <-> iFrame communication.  However in my use case my container is
implemented in Java and not HTML, and gadgets.rpc seems to only allow you
to do the communication through Javascript.  There are other APIs that
require gadget <->container communication as well, and I assume they are
all using gadgets.rpc.  It's fine if this is the case, I will have to
think of some "creative" ways to solve this, I just want to make sure all
my above assumptions are correct before I begin down that path.

-Ryan

Email: rjbaxter@us.ibm.com
Phone: 978-899-3041
developerWorks Profile