Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Steve Francis <st...@expertcity.com> on 2002/08/22 02:01:50 UTC

How to scale apache to deal with network outages

How do large scale sites deal with network outages that consume all the
apache servers?

We run apache 2.0.39 - normally there's about 50 active processes.  If a
network glitch appears (internal ATT routing loop, BGP sesssions
flapping on a provider, etc) then the apache servers get stuck dealing
with the connection they are currently servicing, and wait for TCP
retransmissions and ultimately the connection to die before releasing
the connection and thus servicing the next client.
During these times apache can grow rapidly to the max servers, and then
stop servicing anyone until the interrupted connections expire.

How do large sites deal with this - we can't just increase the max
servers, else we run out of physical memory.

TIA

RE: How to scale apache to deal with network outages

Posted by Kees Hoekzema <ke...@tweakers.net>.
hey,

At the moment we deal with it with low timeout values, the surrent timeout
is 10 seconds.
We have around 20M requests daily, server by 8 apache servers with the
settings:
Timeout 10
MinSpareServers 30
MaxSpareServers 50
StartServers 40

Okay, those servers have all 1G on the mainboard and a loadbalancer in front
of them, but those settings should work with high loaded websites.

-kees