Posted to m2-dev@maven.apache.org by Maczka Michal <mi...@imtf.ch> on 2004/07/05 10:15:10 UTC

Reactor execution question

I have a question regarding reactor execution: do we have any plans
if reactor should be visible in the execution context of goal?

m2 -r is still far away from supporting some use cases which worked in m1.

E.g. I would like to be able to do the same exact thing as
maven idea:multiproject goal does - it creates idea modules for subprojects
and one single project which aggregates
those modules and can be open with IDEA.

In m1 we have develop a pattern which worked quite well: we have two types
of projects: normal, and aggregators.
I wonder if such distinction is going to be preserved in m2. IMO it is quite
reasonable and powerful
as it allowed to apply divide and conquer principle and precisely control
build order of the projects.

Michal

Re: Reactor execution question

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 04:15, Maczka Michal wrote:
> I have a question regarding reactor execution: do we have any plans
> if reactor should be visible in the execution context of goal?
>
> m2 -r is still far away from supporting some use cases which worked in m1.
>
> E.g. I would like to be able to do the same exact thing as
> maven idea:multiproject goal does - it creates idea modules for subprojects
> and one single project which aggregates
> those modules and can be open with IDEA.

Site aggregation and creating a aggregated IDEA project are two of the
use cases I have for the reactor that I'm working toward solving.

> In m1 we have develop a pattern which worked quite well: we have two types
> of projects: normal, and aggregators.
> I wonder if such distinction is going to be preserved in m2. IMO it is quite
> reasonable and powerful
> as it allowed to apply divide and conquer principle and precisely control
> build order of the projects.

It is definitely a capability that will be inherent in the reactor. I
want a way that makes it intuitive to do something like "m2 -r site"
from a top-level directory of a project and have the reactor understand
that site aggregation is what's desired. Same goes with the IDEA goal
run in the context of the reactor. These two use cases I'm working on in
the plexus build.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl