Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Patrick Durusau <pd...@emory.edu> on 2000/04/18 13:43:38 UTC

Embed fonts into PDF?

Greetings,

Last December (Fri Dec 03 1999 - 08:40:17 MET) James Tauber responded to a
post on using True-Type fonts in Windows and noted:

> If someone on this list knows how to embed fonts into PDF, perhaps they'd
> like to work on getting support, first of all, into org.apache.fop.pdf and
> then the PDF Renderer.

I have searched the mail archives and did not see any followup on the issue of
embeded font support.

I am in the final stages (we go to beta in about 6 weeks) of putting a journal
for biblical studies online. The articles are mainly written in English but
have Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic and occassionally Coptic passages (less than a
full line but sometimes more) also in the articles. The articles are being
converted into XML and at this point I suspect I will have to use dynamic
fonts to deliver the materials to users. I would like to offer an option of
viewing the articles as PDF files.

Questions:

1. What is the status of using embedded fonts in PDF with FOP?
2. If embedded fonts in PDF with FOP is not now available, is anyone currently
working on such support?
3. Would test articles with Unicode based Hebrew and Greek content be welcome
test cases for #2? (I don't have them available now but they will be available
in 2-3 weeks.)

Many thanks!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
Society of Biblical Literature

RE: Embed fonts into PDF?

Posted by Sebastian Rahtz <se...@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>.
  See  http://www.sharmahd.com/unipad/

  For a Unicode Editor Sebastian!

what use is a program that is only for the Operating Systems From
Hell, pray?

 Greek, arabic and Hebrew straight from the keycaps
 symbols.

screen fonts are not printer fonts....

Sebastian

RE: Embed fonts into PDF?

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@virgin.net>.
     From: Sebastian Rahtz
     [mailto:sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk]

 The Hebrew too, if I had the
     fonts.

Something like

ﭒﭢﭲﭥﭨﭷﮝﭽ

or evenאבגדהוזחטך

See  http://www.sharmahd.com/unipad/

For a Unicode Editor Sebastian!
Greek, arabic and Hebrew straight from the keycaps
symbols.

HTh DaveP

Re: Embed fonts into PDF?

Posted by Sebastian Rahtz <se...@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>.
Patrick Durusau writes:

 > 3. Would test articles with Unicode based Hebrew and Greek content
 > be welcome test cases for #2? (I don't have them available now but
 > they will be available in 2-3 weeks.)

I don't know about the status of font embedding in FOP, though I'd
observe in passing that the facility is absolutely vital for serious
work; however, what I wanted to say was that I'd be interested to try
your files with PassiveTeX's XSLFO implementation, as the Greek at
least should work without further ado. The Hebrew too, if I had the
fonts. Which ones do you use?

Sebastian