Posted to users@marmotta.apache.org by Sam Chance <sg...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/08 19:57:50 UTC

Newbie Questions about Marmotta

Hi,

I recently discovered Marmotta, and wanted to ask a couple of questions.

I haven't completely read the Marmotta site, but I am curious to know if
there is a matrix or page that compares/contrasts Marmotta, Clerezza,
Stanbol, Jena, and maybe Sesame.

Also, given the increasing prevalence of OSGi within the enterprise, I'm
wondering if Marmotta finally decided to use OSGi, or not. I skimmed
through a couple of emails discussing it, but these seemed to be
contentious. :-)

Thank you!
Sam

Re: Newbie Questions about Marmotta

Posted by Sergio Fernández <se...@salzburgresearch.at>.
Hi Sam,

On 08/12/13 19:57, Sam Chance wrote:
> I haven't completely read the Marmotta site, but I am curious to know if
> there is a matrix or page that compares/contrasts Marmotta, Clerezza,
> Stanbol, Jena, and maybe Sesame.

I'd love to have such matrix, but from my knowledge nobody has done it
so far.

Even though, FMPOV the comparison would need to do it in different groups:

* First you have RDF toolkits, such as Jena or Sesame in Java.

* Then you could have Linked Data platforms/server, where we could
include Marmotta, Clerezza, Fuseki, Callimachus or others. All have
different goals and technological approaches for fulfilling such goals.

* And then you could have tools, such as Stanbol, with other purposes
that are build on top of one of the previous ones.

> Also, given the increasing prevalence of OSGi within the enterprise, I'm
> wondering if Marmotta finally decided to use OSGi, or not. I skimmed
> through a couple of emails discussing it, but these seemed to be
> contentious. :-)

Well, we had such discussion about one year ago, but taking into account
many factors we decided to continue with JavaEE. Personally I'm one of
those who think OSGi would bring very little benefits to Marmotta in
comparison with the current JEE+CDI, but too many problems not always
easy to justify.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández