Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Philippe Vijghen <Ph...@forem.be> on 2000/08/10 10:24:06 UTC

conflicting DOM interfaces

The different parsers always bundled the DOM and SAX interfaces,
which lead regularly to some conflict between the different
implementations as it occurs frequentely that outdated interfaces
for SAX and DOM are included earlier in Java CLASASPATH.

For example,
it is now impossible to call the Xerces/Xalan tools
right from ALlaire JRun 3.0 product as they force
in the classpath of their JVM some entries for the
.jar needed by Jrun itself, ...including Sun's "parser.jar"
However, SUN's parser.jar includes the java packages
for defining SAX and DOM apis but it seems their version
of those package is out)dated and in any case far less
complete that the ones bundled with Xalan.

-> which is your recommended solution for that kind of problems?

I was thinking about fixing the SUN's "parser.jar" by overwriting the
branches related to DOM and SAX APIs by the one bundled in Xercers/Xalan,
relying on the fact that the last releases of those should be backward
compatible with the ones used by SUN.

Wouldn't be cleaner if we had distinct .jar files for the interfaces
in the parser's distribution??

	Ex. xerces.jar + xalan.jar + dom.jar + sax.jar

Thanks in advance,

	Philippe
---
Philippe Vijghen  phv@acse.be
Project Manager   +32 (2) 705.70.21
ACSE s.a.         Bd Général Wahis 29. B-1030 Bruxelles. Belgium