Posted to yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/09/16 10:19:20 UTC

[DISUCSS] Reasonable Hadoop ACL Defaults

Hi folks,

There're a bunch of ACLs configuration defaults, which are set to "*":

1. yarn.admin.acl in yarn-default.xml
2. yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.default.[acl_submit_applications|acl_administer_queue]
in capacity-scheduler.xml
3. security.*.protocol.acl in hadoop-policy.xml

When ACL (or server authorization) is enabled, the resources that are
supposed to be protected are still accessible. However, anybody can
still access them because the default configurations are "*",
accepting anybody. These defaults seem not to make much sense, but
only confuse users. Instead, the reasonable behavior should be that
when ACL is enabled, a user is going to be denied by default unless we
explicitly add him/her into the admin ACLs or the authorized
user/group list.

I have a patch to invert "*" to " "  to block all users by default.
Please let me how what you think about it, and how we should progress.

Thanks,
Zhijie

--
Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [DISUCSS] Reasonable Hadoop ACL Defaults

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com>.
Removing security@ , adding hdfs-dev@ .

On Sep 16, 2014, at 1:19 AM, Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> There're a bunch of ACLs configuration defaults, which are set to "*":
>
> 1. yarn.admin.acl in yarn-default.xml
> 2. yarn.scheduler.capacity.root.default.[acl_submit_applications|acl_administer_queue]
> in capacity-scheduler.xml
> 3. security.*.protocol.acl in hadoop-policy.xml
>
> When ACL (or server authorization) is enabled, the resources that are
> supposed to be protected are still accessible. However, anybody can
> still access them because the default configurations are "*",
> accepting anybody. These defaults seem not to make much sense, but
> only confuse users. Instead, the reasonable behavior should be that
> when ACL is enabled, a user is going to be denied by default unless we
> explicitly add him/her into the admin ACLs or the authorized
> user/group list.
>
> I have a patch to invert "*" to " "  to block all users by default.
> Please let me how what you think about it, and how we should progress.

	a) It would be an incompatible change and would need to go to trunk.
	b) Users enabling ACLs should be expected to go through and check the settings to see what exactly they are enabling/disabling.

Re: [DISUCSS] Reasonable Hadoop ACL Defaults

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com>.