Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Abubakar Pasha <ab...@hotmail.com> on 2007/03/14 15:00:32 UTC

Question about BXE and Source Editor

Hi everyone,

I have a question related to Source Editor and BXE editor in Lenya.

When I open the following document with BXE and Source Editor, why do I get
validation errors?

When I open this document, I get the following errors:

attribute border is not supported
attribute width is not supported

I get such errors both in BXE and Source Editor. My question is why this
happens? Border and Width are 2 valid attributes of <table> tag arn't they?
What do I need to do in order to get rid of these errors? When I open such
document in Source Editor and try to save it, I get some RELAX NG exceptions
regarding the attributes.

Please advise.

Thanks,

AB

Re: Question about BXE and Source Editor

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Joern Nettingsmeier schrieb:
>> Bob Harner wrote:
>>> If true, can anyone explain why the RNG schema used for these editors
>>> doesn't contain the full XHTML spec?
>> i have wondered the same. while it does make sense in many cases to
>> restrict the set of allowed xhtml elements in custom doctypes, the
>> default one should provide full xhtml support imho. (plus the current
>> set of allowed elements does not make all that much sense...)
>>
>> can anyone comment on this?
>
> I don't remember a reason for the restriction. Maybe it will become
> obvious when we change it, though ...
>
>> otherwise i'd consider it a bug.
>
> +1
>
> It's certainly an FAQ, we should do something about it.

i've filed a bug and will look into it in a few days.

Re: Question about BXE and Source Editor

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Joern Nettingsmeier schrieb:
> Bob Harner wrote:
>> On 3/15/07, Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu> wrote:
>>> They are part of XHTML strict. However, by default the RNG schema used
>>> is only a subset of the full XHTML specification. Looks like you'll need
>>> to look at ./src/modules/xhtml/resources/schemas/xhtml.rng and make sure
>>> you are including  xhtml/modules/table.rng. I think if you comment out
>>> the basic schema in exchange for either XHTML or XHTML-strict you should
>>> be okay. Will need to build again.
>>
>> If true, can anyone explain why the RNG schema used for these editors
>> doesn't contain the full XHTML spec?
>
> i have wondered the same. while it does make sense in many cases to
> restrict the set of allowed xhtml elements in custom doctypes, the
> default one should provide full xhtml support imho. (plus the current
> set of allowed elements does not make all that much sense...)
>
> can anyone comment on this?

I don't remember a reason for the restriction. Maybe it will become
obvious when we change it, though ...

> otherwise i'd consider it a bug.

+1

It's certainly an FAQ, we should do something about it.

-- Andreas

Re: Question about BXE and Source Editor

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de>.
Bob Harner wrote:
> On 3/15/07, Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu> wrote:
>> They are part of XHTML strict. However, by default the RNG schema used
>> is only a subset of the full XHTML specification. Looks like you'll need
>> to look at ./src/modules/xhtml/resources/schemas/xhtml.rng and make sure
>> you are including  xhtml/modules/table.rng. I think if you comment out
>> the basic schema in exchange for either XHTML or XHTML-strict you should
>> be okay. Will need to build again.
>
> If true, can anyone explain why the RNG schema used for these editors
> doesn't contain the full XHTML spec?

i have wondered the same. while it does make sense in many cases to
restrict the set of allowed xhtml elements in custom doctypes, the
default one should provide full xhtml support imho. (plus the current
set of allowed elements does not make all that much sense...)

can anyone comment on this? otherwise i'd consider it a bug.

Re: XHTML doctype [was: Question about BXE and Source Editor]

Posted by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.
Jonathan Addison wrote:
> Richard Frovarp wrote:
>> Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:

>>> the xhtml module contains the complete xhtml spec, but it is not
>>> active by default (only "xhtml-basic" is selected).
>>> but when you uncomment either xhtml-transitional or xhtml-strict,
>>> bxe falls apart. i have not been able to find an obvious fix yet.
>>>
>>> most likely, this issue is a leftover from the bad old days when
>>> workarounds for component problems were sprinkled all over the place.
>>> we still have way too many editor quirks in doctype modules and vice
>>> versa.
>>>

>> Did you remember to comment out the xhtml-basic line? Plus it would
>> appear those of the homepage variety use a different rng schema.
>
> Which different schema?  I believe the homepage module just points to
> the same rng that's used in the xhtml module.

Yeah, you're right about this.

>> I haven't tried doing anything (in BXE) that would require more than
>> basic. However, running xhtml-strict doesn't cause any problems under
>> BXE for me, unless the xhtml-basic line is left in.
>
> I receive a "1 unsupported group nodes" warning when BXE first opens.
> Do you see this as well?

Yes, I see this as well. I also see it with a completely clean build
without monkeying with the xhtml.rng file. I'm not sure what the problem
is, but it isn't due to switching from xhtml-basic to something else.

Re: XHTML doctype [was: Question about BXE and Source Editor]

Posted by Jonathan Addison <jo...@wyona.com>.

Posted by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.
Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
> Bob Harner wrote:

>>> They are part of XHTML strict. However, by default the RNG schema used
>>> is only a subset of the full XHTML specification. Looks like you'll
>>> need
>>> to look at ./src/modules/xhtml/resources/schemas/xhtml.rng and make
>>> sure
>>> you are including  xhtml/modules/table.rng. I think if you comment out
>>> the basic schema in exchange for either XHTML or XHTML-strict you
>>> should
>>> be okay. Will need to build again.
>>
>> If true, can anyone explain why the RNG schema used for these editors
>> doesn't contain the full XHTML spec?
>
> the xhtml module contains the complete xhtml spec, but it is not
> active by default (only "xhtml-basic" is selected).
> but when you uncomment either xhtml-transitional or xhtml-strict, bxe
> falls apart. i have not been able to find an obvious fix yet.
>
> most likely, this issue is a leftover from the bad old days when
> workarounds for component problems were sprinkled all over the place.
> we still have way too many editor quirks in doctype modules and vice
> versa.

Did you remember to comment out the xhtml-basic line? Plus it would
appear those of the homepage variety use a different rng schema. I

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de>.

--
jörn nettingsmeier

home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
phone://+49/201/491621

Kurt is up in Heaven now.

Re: Question about BXE and Source Editor

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.