Posted to fx-dev@ws.apache.org by Rami Jaamour <rj...@parasoft.com> on 2004/12/27 20:29:58 UTC

Re: AW: AW: [WSS4J] SAML support

Where is the code which determines whether to accept or reject a SAML
assertion on the receiver side? WSSecurityEngine#handleSAMLToken(Element
token) does not seem to validate the values in the assertion, is the
OpenSAML code or WSS4J code supposed to do this? I am trying to build a
scenario with an authentication statement (and later authorization and
attributes) and my service is currently accepting any SAML
authentication statement it gets, regardless of what is the subject name
identifier. Is the SAML properties file only used for generating the
saml tokens? How do I implement a receiver service which only accepts
valid saml tokens and have my application respond based on these tokens?

Rami Jaamour
Software Engineer
Web Services Solutions
Parasoft Corporation

"We Make Software Work"

Re: AW: AW: [WSS4J] SAML support

Posted by Ashok Shah <as...@sfu.ca>.
Rami,

The WSS4J code only verifies the signature of the signed attributes, and
decryptes if its encrypted. the results are then added to the "wsResult"
vector.  In WSDoAllReceiver.java you could fetch the SAML action

WSSecurityEngineResult actionResult =
WSSecurityUtil.fetchActionResult(wsResult, WSConstants.ST_UNSIGNED);

I think the validation of the SAML Assertions is a bit more complicated
then we would anticipate. I was looking into the SAML validations,
figured at some point we need to convert the SAML Assertions into XACML
format. (Only the latest version of XACML is compatable with SAML) and
use the XACML verification techniques.  Our requirements were
application based, HTTP was not involved.

For now I got away by just passing the SAML Assertion in the msgContext
object. Our requirements dictate that SAML Attributes be availabel to
the service end point to make its own decision. The "accept/reject"
approach seems too restrictive.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ashok.