Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Darko Hojnik <ho...@virtualizing.org> on 2011/04/05 20:10:26 UTC

Using LDAP?

Hi there,

Is there an example anywhere how I could configure Apache James with LDAP.
I want store all virtual domains, users, virtual users and passwords
inside LDAP. Mails should be stored on a PostgreSQL database. I want LDAP
because I think it's the cleanest way to connect our Groupware on the
Mailserver.

Re: Using LDAP?

Posted by Darko Hojnik <ho...@virtualizing.org>.
I've forget something. With LDAP the Server could be administrated with
Eclipse or the Apache Directory Studio. I thing Windows Admins will love
it. And I do it too.

best regards
Darko Hojnik

Re: Using LDAP?

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Darko,

A LDAP schema proposal for future dev will be great!
btw, there's no better environment than an open source project to learn
JAVA :) You can really start smooth and evolve.

Tks again,
Eric

On 7/04/2011 19:07, Darko Hojnik wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
> That will maybe hold me up to chose Apache James for my current project.
> But I will help where I can. So I hope I will get by another project the
> chance for Apache James.
> Well, I'm not really a developer but currently I'm learning JAVA.
> Primary I'm only a Administrator who likes cool solutions.
> So I will start to create a new LDAP Schema for Apache James at next.
>
> kind regards
> Darko Hojnik
>

> Am 07.04.2011, 18:08 Uhr, schrieb Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>:
>
>> Hi Darko,
>>
>> A overall ldap schema is always good, especially when defining a ldap
>> roadmap for james 3.1, 3.2...
>>
>> At the moment we need more a validation of the ldap functions in trunk.
>> The last message I saw one [1] doesn't confirm everything is fine.
>>
>> We also need some schema to download for the ldap, and also some doc
>> that explains how to setup james with openldap, with the help of
>> Apache DS studio for example.
>>
>> I don't think we lack competence in current devs, but everyone is
>> really busy on the next 3.0 milestone (3.0-M3). for example, I
>> implemented LDAP access from JAVA in 2001, I have used Apache DS
>> Studio 2 years ago, but I can't help ldap for james atm.
>>
>> So if you want to help now, the best if to fix everything in
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/ldap/ and document
>> it in
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/src/site/xdoc/config-users.xml.
>>

>> Maybe not the most exciting, but a excellent start I find...
>> The process is to open a JIRA and attach there some patches.
>>
>> Tks again,
>> - Eric
>>
>> [1] http://markmail.org/message/zy55o5xpl6dj35lh
>>

>> On 7/04/2011 17:38, Darko Hojnik wrote:
>>> Hello Eric,
>>>
>>> Do you will need a LDAP Schema? I don't know but the DBmail Schema is
>>> under the GPL v2. My idea for administering Apache James with the Apache
>>> DS backend is, we could use Eclipse with the Apache DS Studio Plugins.
>>> And at last someone has to develop one ore some template plugins for
>>> common administering tasks. Just based on the eclipse plugins for Apache
>>> DS Studio. Maybe james-cli would be available for backward compatibility
>>> only.
>>>
>>> So we will need a schema with following entries
>>>
>>> Quota
>>> Username
>>> Group
>>> GID
>>> UID
>>> Administrator
>>> Staffadministrator (postmaster@ of a domain)
>>> mailaddress
>>> additional_mail_address
>>> forwarding_mail_address
>>> Antispam
>>> Sieve
>>> active (yes, no)
>>> change_passwd (yes, no)
>>> number_of_addresses (how many adresses could use this user)
>>> max_custumer_adresses
>>> DNSBL (yes no)
>>> DNSBL_URL (exemplary spamhaus.org)

Re: Using LDAP?