Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ks...@apache.org> on 2016/09/02 13:43:59 UTC

Resigning from Apache OpenOffice

I'm resigning from Apache OpenOffice. I've been an unpaid volunteer with
OpenOffice.org and Apache OpenOffice since April, 2001.  At this point, I'm
thinking it's time to move on.

A big THANK YOU to all the developers that made OpenOffice the outstanding
open source product it is today.  THANK YOU to all the community members
who contributed tirelessly to the  ancillary  functions of both these
projects. And finally, special thanks to the infrastructure team at the
Apache Software Foundation for the remarkable job they did for Apache
OpenOffice and continue to do.

Best wishes to all of you, and may the road ahead for OpenOffice be smooth.

I'm assuming that my karma to the following areas will be removed later
today: committer rights to the source svn repository; rights to the PMC and
security lists and repositories.

Kay Schenk
Apache OpenOffice

"Things work out best for those who make
 the best of the way things work out."
                                           -- John Wooden

Re: Resigning from Apache OpenOffice

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
This is clearly a bad day for OpenOffice. I don't like to read such
mails and much less when it comes from you.

I know you since our start as Apache podling and even a bit longer. So,
I'm very said that you have decided to leave the project and I'm very
disappointed about the reason - which is obvious for all who have
followed the list here.

I can only hope that you have written the mail in an angry mood and
would be willing to think again about your retirement. Or at least to
come back when we have made some progress towards a new release and show
the world with it that we still can bring out new stuff.

I thank you so much for your work, time and energy that you have brought
into the project and wish you all the best for you new way.

PS:
I still hope that this is just a bad nightmare.

With 2 big tears in my eyes.

Marcus

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Thus makes me very, very sad. I hope that my comments are not
a factor here. As anyone who had been following the hacker-news
and LWN thread know, I am a supporter of AOO; I have been one
since the start despite the slings and arrows directed towards
me in being such.

There was no intent to malign the people doing fantastic work
on AOO, nor their enthusiasm, etc... The thread started was
simply a request for discussion about what a retirement would
look like; I relayed my thoughts as such. No more, no less.

Personally, I'd like you to reconsider.

Posted by RA Stehmann <an...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de>.
Am 02.09.2016 um 15:43 schrieb Kay Schenk:
> I'm resigning from Apache OpenOffice. I've been an unpaid volunteer with
> OpenOffice.org and Apache OpenOffice since April, 2001.  At this point, I'm
> thinking it's time to move on.
> .

Thank you very much for your great work. And good luck for the future.

With a little tear in my eye

Michael

Re: Resigning from Apache OpenOffice

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 2, 2016 4:03 PM, "Andrea Pescetti" <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Kay Schenk wrote:
>>
>> I'm resigning from Apache OpenOffice.
>

> Seeing your enthusiasm until yesterday, I think I can easily guess the
reason. Rest assured, I am feeling bullied too.

> So, what can we, the people who actively work (as volunteers) on
OpenOffice, and who plan releases, and who have committed code until this
very day, do? Should we all reply and leave?

Kay I do know it's hard to get slapped in the face in spite of the good
work, but it's time to stay united and stand.

Please ignore the fuss, your buddies here are with you to keep the ball
rolling, against all odds.

Think it again, PLEASE.

Roberto

> I prefer that we gather support for continuing what we were doing (i.e.,
just plan the next release), maybe getting some excuses from the
well-meaning people who did not want to start a thread with the idea of
destroying a honorable project.

> I hope you will reconsider, or at least take the necessary time to see
what people are doing. I'm very disappointed by today's discussions. I'll
stand by for the time being. And I hope all the other "active" people share
this vision and are prepared to offer an alternative to retirement in the
form of a release.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.