Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by MBD <mb...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/02 21:01:30 UTC

Setting up Solr for first time

Looking for help getting a basic (the example) configuration up and stabilized so we can start experimenting with it. Requirement being that it index PDFs.

After basic install Solr (3.4) is indexing raw text/html files.

But when feeding in a PDF I'm getting a permissions error but not sure how to tell where, exactly, the problem is or what I need to do to fix it?!?

$ curl "http://localhost:8983/solr/update/extract?literal.id=doc2&commit=true" -F "myfile=@features.pdf"
Error 500 Can't connect to window server - not enough permissions.
java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to window server - not enough permissions.

full error can be seen here: <http://pastie.org/2800677>
Solr 3.4

thanks for ANY help!
-Mike

Re: Setting up Solr for first time

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: But when feeding in a PDF I'm getting a permissions error but not sure
: how to tell where, exactly, the problem is or what I need to do to fix
: it?!?

Interesting.

The problem is coming from the "PDFBox" library used to parse
PDF files on your Solr server, but the origin of hte issue seems to be
something related to how java is configured on the machine where you are
running Solr.  PDFBox is attempting to call the method
"java.awt.Color.clint" which is attempting to load a native library which
should be part of your java install -- but some sort of permission error
is preventing it from working.

Googling for "Can't connect to window server - not enough permissions"
suggests that you should run java with the "java.awt.headless=true" system
property to deal with this problem (but i have no experience with this)

If you still have problems, i would suggest narrowing your research to
the the PDFBox mailing list -- people are more likely to have encountered
/ discussed it there.

:
: $ curl "http://localhost:8983/solr/update/extract?literal.id=doc2&commit=true" -F "myfile=@features.pdf"
: Error 500 Can't connect to window server - not enough permissions.
: java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to window server - not enough permissions.
: 	at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)

-Hoss