Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@alaska.net> on 2004/04/15 22:48:50 UTC

Avalon logkit not a 1.4 dependency

Well, faced with a contradiction between Geir and the documentation, I
decided to go ahead and try running Velocity 1.4 without logkit.   After
all, Geir probably wrote the documentation, and, of the two, Geir is
probably more up-to-date.  :-)

Sure enough, Velocity will pick up whatever logger you have installed, and
has no dependency on logkit.   So common-collections and oro are the only
real 1.4 dependencies.

-Mike

Re: Avalon logkit not a 1.4 dependency

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
On Apr 15, 2004, at 4:48 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

> Well, faced with a contradiction between Geir and the documentation, I
> decided to go ahead and try running Velocity 1.4 without logkit.
> After
> all, Geir probably wrote the documentation, and, of the two, Geir is
> probably more up-to-date.  :-)
>
> Sure enough, Velocity will pick up whatever logger you have installed,
> and
> has no dependency on logkit.   So common-collections and oro are the
> only
> real 1.4 dependencies.

:)

Right.  And oro is only required for the WebMacro template converter
and test cases.  So for production runtime, you shouldn't need oro.

Further, you've re-triggered my itch to bring ExtendedProperties back
to the velocity codetree and we still need to resolve the LRUMap thingy
(it may be just params...), but we could eliminate commons-collections
as well.

That would give us a dependency-free distro :)

geir

geir@4quarters.com