Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Vikas Arora <vi...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/16 11:49:47 UTC

Instructions to Build+Debug Apache Shindig within Eclipse

Hi -

I am building Apache Shindig and following instructions given at
'http://shindig.apache.org/developers/java/build.html'
I am able to checkout & build apache shindig from command line. I plan
to debug the Shindig code within Eclipse.

The instructions given at
'http://shindig.apache.org/developers/java/build.html' are not
complete. I installed the
Maven plugin in Eclipse and able to open the new project and somehow
finding that Project->Maven with
'Enable Dependency Management' option enabled by default and could not
find 'Update Source Folders' option there.
The possible options are Update Dependencies', 'Update Snapshots' &
'Update Project Configuration'

I want to build and debug Shindig within Eclipse itself. Could not
find instructions for the same.

Alternatively, I added the 'Debug Configuration' for debugging remote
Java application with appropriate host & port
and ran the jetty server (mvnDebug jetty:run) with the same debug port
on command line and attached this remote
Java application within eclipse. Added few breakpoints in the code,
but when those breakpoints are hit, eclipse
complains that "Source not found". I verified that the correct 'source
paths' have been supplied in the 'Source'Project->properties->Java
Build Path'

I am using Apache Maven ver 2.2.1 & Eclipse version 3.5.0

Can someone from the Shindig Dev group, who have configured Eclipse to
build+Debug within Eclipse, share
the appropriate instructions.

Thanks & Regards,
Vikas

Re: Instructions to Build+Debug Apache Shindig within Eclipse

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@schmiedehausen.org>.
It runs fine using MyEclipse and the deployment into a local jetty. I
usually use only the common, gadget and social-api modules, though
(because I embed into our internal infrastructure)

-h

Posted by John Hjelmstad <fa...@google.com>.