Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Andreas Schaefer <sc...@me.com.INVALID> on 2021/01/20 23:07:00 UTC

Sling Project Archetype revamp for Feature Model

Hi

At last I started to work on the revamp of the Sling Project Archetype to work with Feature Model. These are my goals

- Keep the structure alive: all, core, ui.apps (done)
- Make it possible to manually migrate an existing project created by the Sling Project Archetype to the new project by using the Content Package Converter (done)
- Allow the local project to be run in Sling from the build (-P run) for development purposes (done)
- Remove all plugins that are not used anymore (in progress)
- Make the IT tests work (works for now)
- Enable the inclusion of additional Feature Models or Feature Archives for local testing and/or FM / FAR build of the project (planned)

That said I am also wondering if we should add the following:

- Content Bundle (standalone and with all)
- Making Creation of a Feature Archive optional
- Create Bundle and add to an existing project
- Instead of having a sample folder we could create a fully fledged module and then remove the samples in the post processing as Robert suggested
- Adding additional sample packages

Let me know if that works for you

- Andy

P.S.: Working on Sling / AEM projects I often find myself needing to quickly whip up a project to test something and I do not need or even want sample code. This was the reason to go with the separate sample module. This way I can easily copy over what I need (servlet, service, test etc) w/o having many files to remove to slim it down to what I need. That said I think it would be possible to create a full fledge sample project on the side to have access to the samples.

Re: Sling Project Archetype revamp for Feature Model

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Andy,

On Wed, 2021-01-20 at 15:07 -0800, Andreas Schaefer wrote:
> Hi
>
> At last I started to work on the revamp of the Sling Project
> Archetype to work with Feature Model. These are my goals
>
> - Keep the structure alive: all, core, ui.apps (done)
> - Make it possible to manually migrate an existing project created by
> the Sl ing Project Archetype to the new project by using the Content
> Package Converter (done)
> - Allow the local project to be run in Sling from the build (-P run)
> for development purposes (done)
> - Remove all plugins that are not used anymore (in progress)
> - Make the IT tests work (works for now)
> - Enable the inclusion of additional Feature Models or Feature
> Archives for local testing and/or FM / FAR build of the project
> (planned)
>
> That said I am also wondering if we should add the following:
>
> - Content Bundle (standalone and with all)
> - Making Creation of a Feature Archive optional
> - Create Bundle and add to an existing project
> - Instead of having a sample folder we could create a fully fledged
> module and then remove the samples in the post processing as Robert
> suggested
> - Adding additional sample packages
>
> Let me know if that works for you

I think it's important to have:

- a project archetype suited for the feature model
- a way of quickly generating 'sample' content to the project

I would say to do whatever is best for you, and then we can iterate.
There are probably lots of ways of handling the samples:

- separate top-level modules
- separate reactor pom, linking all samples
- 'inlined' in the base bundles

Top of my head, it might be the simpler to generate a samples folder
with a reactor pom by default, and either delete it if not desired, or
keep it and manually add a '<module>samples</module>' entry in the top-
level reactor pom - which hopefully should not be too hard.

Again, this is my personal opinion on what might be simpler, I suggest
you go with what you think is simplest/best.

Thanks!

Robert