Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2007/03/03 12:12:46 UTC

Assembly plugin: does package phase have to be run before or during assembly:directory?

Hi all,

I just need to clarify the behaviour of the assembly plugin. For some
reason assembly:directory triggers the package phase whether you wanted
it to or not (a good reason you might not want to run the package phase,
is that the package phase has already been run).

I see that assembly:directory-inline does not trigger the package phase
- but - when you run it, it complains that the package phase needs to be
run (the package phase in this case has already been run).

So the question is:

- Does the assembly plugin need to run the package phase before every
single invocation? The error message below suggests this is true. In our
case the package phase takes 10 minutes, meaning that there is little or
no chance we are ever going to get the assembly plugin config working in
any cost effective time frame.

- Is there a way to run the assembly plugin _without_ triggering a
package phase every time?

[INFO] [assembly:directory-inline]
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Included module: alchemy:alchemy-cdo:jar:4.0.6-SNAPSHOT does not
have an artifact with a file. Please ensure the package phase is run
before the assembly is generated.
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Included module:
alchemy:alchemy-cdo:jar:4.0.6-SNAPSHOT does not have an artifact with a
file. Please ensure the package phase is run before the assembly is
generated.
         at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:559)

Regards,
Graham