Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Martin Dietze <di...@fh-wedel.de> on 2013/03/25 14:54:54 UTC

Migration issue: update templates in a running system

I recently upgraded a legacy project from Wicket 1.4 to 6.6.

In that project we provide a test system to our HTML designers,
set up as follows: whenever a change is committed into the git,
the test system pulls those changes and copies templates, JS
and CSS files into the webapp.

It seems like now, after the Wicket upgrade, certain changes in
templates (e.g. changes to the markup of fragments) do no longer
"come through", i.e. it seems necessary to restart the system
before the changes take effect.

Could it be that this is a problem related to the new way of
dealing with markup in Wicket? Or are we simply running into a
cache problem here?

If this is indeed related to Wicket's markup handling, is there
any usable workaround? Restarting the system over and over makes
work for our HTMLers rather slow and awkward.

Cheers,

M'bert

--
----------- / http://herbert.the-little-red-haired-girl.org / -------------
=+=

Re: Migration issue: update templates in a running system

Posted by Martin Dietze <di...@fh-wedel.de>.
On Mon, March 25, 2013, Martin Grigorov wrote:

> Wicket reloads HTML templates only when running in Development mode. Do you
> run your app in Dev mode ?

Yes, I do.

And I did see some changes coming through (like adding a
CSS-class to a div etc.), but today I was asked by our HTMLer,
and like him I was unable to get the changes into my browsers,
though the templates on the development system were the updated
ones. I could only get the changes take effect by restarting the
application.

Cheers,

M'bert

--
----------- / http://herbert.the-little-red-haired-girl.org / -------------
=+=
Warum ist ein Bratschensolo wie vorzeitige Ejakulation?
Wenn man merkt, dass es kommt, ist es zu sp�t, etwas dagegen zu tun...

Re: Migration issue: update templates in a running system

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Martin Dietze <di...@fh-wedel.de> wrote:

> I recently upgraded a legacy project from Wicket 1.4 to 6.6.
>
> In that project we provide a test system to our HTML designers,
> set up as follows: whenever a change is committed into the git,
> the test system pulls those changes and copies templates, JS
> and CSS files into the webapp.
>
> It seems like now, after the Wicket upgrade, certain changes in
> templates (e.g. changes to the markup of fragments) do no longer
> "come through", i.e. it seems necessary to restart the system
> before the changes take effect.
>
> Could it be that this is a problem related to the new way of
> dealing with markup in Wicket? Or are we simply running into a
> cache problem here?
>
> If this is indeed related to Wicket's markup handling, is there
> any usable workaround? Restarting the system over and over makes
> work for our HTMLers rather slow and awkward.
>
> Cheers,
>
> M'bert
>
> --
> ----------- / http://herbert.the-little-red-haired-girl.org /