Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2003/11/09 14:57:55 UTC

Avalon-Excalibur Release Plan

(replies to dev@avalon.apache.org only please!)

Hi gang,

I would like to get releases together for Excalibur-Component,
Excalibur-Event, Excalibur-Sourceresolve, Excalibur-Store and
Excalibur-XMLUtil. These packages are currently being used in a 'CVS
snapshot' form by the cocoon project. I'm volunteering to be the release
manager and coordinate these releases.

Release candidates are available at

    http://www.apache.org/~leosimons/dist-candidates/avalon/

and will be periodically updated until no big blocker issues remain. I
will also periodically post an overview of the remaining issues to the
mailing list. I hope to have a final release ASAP, in time for the
upcoming cocoon release. Issues will be tracked on the avalon
development mailing list; everyone is requested to send details of any
issues to the avalon development mailing list, as well as any patches
and/or status updates.

I am calling for volunteers to help fix remaining issues and test the
release candidate quality and functionality. Note that all the people on
the following list:

  stefano,balld,ricardo,rubys,ben,zvia,giacomo,gears,bmclaugh,bloritsch,
  rossb,jeremy,dims,ssahuc,prussell,cziegeler,mman,sylvain,vgritsenko,
  haul,morrijr,crossley,ovidiu,tcurdt,gianugo,froehlich,huber,dirkx,
  butlermh,nicolaken,ivelin,kpiroumian,shannon,proyal,stephan,coliver,
  crafterm,acoliver,stevenn,bdelacretaz,mlangham,michaelm,jefft,pier,
  bruno,asavory,ghoward,andreas,alexmc,egli,gregor,michi,edith,felix,
  liyanage,memo,thorsten,joerg,upayavira,reinhard,ugo,gcasper,mpo,
  antonio,tony,unico,jon,charlesb,bloritsch,ramc,leosimons,neeme,jefft,
  giacomo,colus,rana_b,mirceatoma,cziegeler,froehlich,lmccay,leif,
  mcconnell,leosutic,jrudd,morpheus,crafterm,vinayc,proyal,nicolaken,
  huw,ymikulski,mschier,sylvain,atagunov,farra,hammett,akarasulu

have full access to the avalon-excalibur CVS and are invited to commit
to it directly to help fix all issues.

thanks in advance for your help!

best regards,

- Leo Simons

Issue List
==========
Preferably, all critical issues and all major issues will be fixed
before a release.

Critical issues
---------------
* Excalibur-Component testcase fails
* Excalibur-XMLUtil testcase fails
* Excalibur-XMLUtil now has a dependency on saxon7 v7.7; cocoon people
must verify this is compatible with the upcoming cocoon release

Major issues
------------
* the documentation for Excalibur-Component on
http://avalon.apache.org/excalibur/ is insufficient
* the documentation for Excalibur-Event on
http://avalon.apache.org/excalibur/ is insufficient
* the documentation for Excalibur-Sourceresolve on
http://avalon.apache.org/excalibur/ is insufficient
* the documentation for Excalibur-Store on
http://avalon.apache.org/excalibur/ is insufficient
* the documentation for Excalibur-XMLUtil on
http://avalon.apache.org/excalibur/ is insufficient

Minor issues

Re: Avalon-Excalibur Release Plan

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Unico Hommes wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
>> Note that all the people on the following list:
>>
>>   stefano,balld,ricardo,rubys,ben,zvia,giacomo,gears,bmclaugh,bloritsch,
>>   rossb,jeremy,dims,ssahuc,prussell,cziegeler,mman,sylvain,vgritsenko,
>>   haul,morrijr,crossley,ovidiu,tcurdt,gianugo,froehlich,huber,dirkx,
>>   butlermh,nicolaken,ivelin,kpiroumian,shannon,proyal,stephan,coliver,
>>   crafterm,acoliver,stevenn,bdelacretaz,mlangham,michaelm,jefft,pier,
>>   bruno,asavory,ghoward,andreas,alexmc,egli,gregor,michi,edith,felix,
>>   liyanage,memo,thorsten,joerg,upayavira,reinhard,ugo,gcasper,mpo,
>>   antonio,tony,unico,jon,charlesb,bloritsch,ramc,leosimons,neeme,jefft,
>>   giacomo,colus,rana_b,mirceatoma,cziegeler,froehlich,lmccay,leif,
>>   mcconnell,leosutic,jrudd,morpheus,crafterm,vinayc,proyal,nicolaken,
>>   huw,ymikulski,mschier,sylvain,atagunov,farra,hammett,akarasulu
>>
>> have full access to the avalon-excalibur CVS and are invited to commit
>> to it directly to help fix all issues.
>
> Are you sure? I tried to check out the code from eclipse and got:
>
> : cvs server: failed to create lock directory for
> `/home/cvs/avalon-excalibur' (/home/cvs/avalon-excalibur/#cvs.lock):
> Permission denied
> : cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository
> `/home/cvs/avalon-excalibur'

my guess is that the cvs avail permissions are right (which is where I
got the list from) but you're missing from the correct group.

Avalon PMC, do we want to have all cocooners added to the avalon unix
group? (An alternative might be another unix group, but I'm not so sure
infrastructure will be too happy with that...IIRC there is some kind of
hard limit on the number of groups...memory fuzzy...)

- LSD

Re: Avalon-Excalibur Release Plan

Posted by Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>.

Leo Simons wrote:

> (replies to dev@avalon.apache.org only please!)
>
> Hi gang,
>
> I would like to get releases together for Excalibur-Component,
> Excalibur-Event, Excalibur-Sourceresolve, Excalibur-Store and
> Excalibur-XMLUtil. These packages are currently being used in a 'CVS
> snapshot' form by the cocoon project. I'm volunteering to be the release
> manager and coordinate these releases.
>
> Release candidates are available at
>
>     http://www.apache.org/~leosimons/dist-candidates/avalon/
>
> and will be periodically updated until no big blocker issues remain. I
> will also periodically post an overview of the remaining issues to the
> mailing list. I hope to have a final release ASAP, in time for the
> upcoming cocoon release. Issues will be tracked on the avalon
> development mailing list; everyone is requested to send details of any
> issues to the avalon development mailing list, as well as any patches
> and/or status updates.
>
> I am calling for volunteers to help fix remaining issues and test the
> release candidate quality and functionality. Note that all the people on
> the following list:
>
>   stefano,balld,ricardo,rubys,ben,zvia,giacomo,gears,bmclaugh,bloritsch,
>   rossb,jeremy,dims,ssahuc,prussell,cziegeler,mman,sylvain,vgritsenko,
>   haul,morrijr,crossley,ovidiu,tcurdt,gianugo,froehlich,huber,dirkx,
>   butlermh,nicolaken,ivelin,kpiroumian,shannon,proyal,stephan,coliver,
>   crafterm,acoliver,stevenn,bdelacretaz,mlangham,michaelm,jefft,pier,
>   bruno,asavory,ghoward,andreas,alexmc,egli,gregor,michi,edith,felix,
>   liyanage,memo,thorsten,joerg,upayavira,reinhard,ugo,gcasper,mpo,
>   antonio,tony,unico,jon,charlesb,bloritsch,ramc,leosimons,neeme,jefft,
>   giacomo,colus,rana_b,mirceatoma,cziegeler,froehlich,lmccay,leif,
>   mcconnell,leosutic,jrudd,morpheus,crafterm,vinayc,proyal,nicolaken,
>   huw,ymikulski,mschier,sylvain,atagunov,farra,hammett,akarasulu
>
> have full access to the avalon-excalibur CVS and are invited to commit
> to it directly to help fix all issues.

Are you sure? I tried to check out the code from eclipse and got:

: cvs server: failed to create lock directory for
`/home/cvs/avalon-excalibur' (/home/cvs/avalon-excalibur/#cvs.lock):
Permission denied
: cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository
`/home/cvs/avalon-excalibur'

Any ideas?

Unico

> thanks in advance for your help!