Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by James Wuerflein <Ja...@katun.com> on 2006/02/20 00:26:09 UTC

[users@httpd] Soft. Load Balancer Recommendations

I'm looking for a software load balancer solution where I could do 1 to
many backend  webservers, and also have the option to maintain some
session persistance with jsession?  Additionally, would like to be able
to do many proxy or load balancers to many backend webservers or
application servers.

Is there anything avail. with no other 3rd party Apache modules to do
that?   Does anyone have any suggestions on solutions that have worked
well for them?

Thanks

the system manager.

Katun Corporation -- www.katun.com

Re: [users@httpd] Soft. Load Balancer Recommendations

Posted by Joost de Heer <sa...@xs4all.nl>.
Jacqui Caren wrote:
> Nick Kew wrote:
>> On Sunday 19 February 2006 23:26, James Wuerflein wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking for a software load balancer solution where I could do 1 to
> [snip]
>> Erm, why not start by telling us what's the matter with Apache's
>> bundled loadbalancing capabilities?
>
> Slightly off topic but has anyone here used openMosix or similar
> to run a single server image across a cluster of boxes?

I've come as far as printing the howto, haven't had time to do anything
more with it. Some of my colleagues have worked with pound, but I have no
idea what that does exactly.

Joost

Re: [users@httpd] Soft. Load Balancer Recommendations

Posted by Jacqui Caren <ja...@ntlworld.com>.
Nick Kew wrote:
> On Sunday 19 February 2006 23:26, James Wuerflein wrote:
>
>>I'm looking for a software load balancer solution where I could do 1 to
[snip]
> Erm, why not start by telling us what's the matter with Apache's
> bundled loadbalancing capabilities?

Slightly off topic but has anyone here used openMosix or similar
to run a single server image across a cluster of boxes?
The idea is that the pool of hardware becomes a single machine
with each (new) apache process running on diff. boxes.

It also gives you the chance to pull a box, upgrade and re-inject
into the cluster (one box at a time).

I have yet to do more that play with this (I am more into user mode
linux over openMosix for virtual server pools for DNS servers, dev
systems etc) but would be very interested in comments or experience.

Jacqui

Re: [users@httpd] Soft. Load Balancer Recommendations

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Sunday 19 February 2006 23:26, James Wuerflein wrote:
> I'm looking for a software load balancer solution where I could do 1 to
> many backend  webservers, and also have the option to maintain some
> session persistance with jsession?  Additionally, would like to be able
> to do many proxy or load balancers to many backend webservers or
> application servers.

Erm, why not start by telling us what's the matter with Apache's
bundled loadbalancing capabilities?  It's one of the 'headline'
improvements in Apache 2.2, and if it doesn't meet your needs
the details would be useful.

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] Soft. Load Balancer Recommendations

Posted by Alexander Lazic <al...@none.at>.
Hi,

On Son 19.02.2006 17:26, James Wuerflein wrote:
>I'm looking for a software load balancer solution where I could do 1 to
>many backend webservers, and also have the option to maintain some
>session persistance with jsession?  Additionally, would like to be able
>to do many proxy or load balancers to many backend webservers or
>application servers.
>
>Is there anything avail. with no other 3rd party Apache modules to do
>that?  Does anyone have any suggestions on solutions that have worked
>well for them?

http://w.ods.org/tools/haproxy/

---
Here are the latest production versions of HA-proxy, a free, reliable
high-performance TCP/HTTP load balancer. Packages are provided for
RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0 (x86) and Formilux 0.1.8. Generic linux-i586
and Solaris8-ultrasparc binaries are also provided. Other platforms
should use sources instead. Version 1.1 is the stable one, version 1.2
is nearly the same with a few add-ons, such as support for poll/epoll,
IPv6 and application cookies.
---

I prefer the 1.2.x version ;-)

regards