Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk> on 1995/09/16 13:51:03 UTC

Apache Team Incorporation

I was musing about the question of the existence or non-existence of the
entity "the Apache Team" (or Group or whatever), and I suddenly remembered that
in the UK it is permitted to set up a partnership where the partnership
agreement is "verbal and varies from time to time". This tends not to happen
very often, because without a written agreement it is hard to resolve arguments
but since no money is involved, there is no major consequence to that in this
case.

As far as I understand it (and I can check if people are interested) all
one has to do is agree between oneselves that a partnership has been formed,
and presto, a new legal entity (or at least a name to which things like
copyright can be assigned).

The way a partnership works is that the partners split profit (ha!),
responsibility, etc. according to their partnership agreement (insofar as it
is legally possbile to divide them). That is, the partnership does not provide
any kind of shield to the participants, unlike a limited company.

Just a thought,

Ben.

and Technical Director      Email: ben@algroup.co.uk (preferred)
A.L. Digital Ltd,                  benl@fear.demon.co.uk (backup)
London, England.

[Note for the paranoid: "fear" as in "Fear and Loathing
in Las Vegas", "demon" as in Demon Internet Services, a
commercial Internet access provider.]