Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Glen Peterson <gl...@organicdesign.org> on 2013/03/03 21:04:29 UTC

Questions on building PDFBox

I seem to run out of PermGenSpace when I try to build.

[INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:2.3.2:compile (default-compile) @
pdfbox-examples ---
[INFO] Compiling 37 source files to
/home/gpeterso/tools/pdfbox/trunk/examples/target/classes
[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] COMPILATION ERROR :
[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] Failure executing javac, but could not parse the error:

The system is out of resources.
Consult the following stack trace for details.
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

The following has worked for me sometimes, but not others:
MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=2048m"

I've been rebooting every couple of builds as a work-around, but was
wondering if there was a better way.

Also, why does it keep saying "Using 'ISO-8859-1' encoding to copy
filtered resources?"  Does this mean that I need to use ISO-8859-1
encoding in my source files?  I have some comments in other character
sets, but could remove them if need be.

--
Glen K. Peterson
(828) 393-0081

Re: Questions on building PDFBox

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Am 03.03.2013 21:04, schrieb Glen Peterson:
> I seem to run out of PermGenSpace when I try to build.
>
> [INFO] --- maven-compiler-plugin:2.3.2:compile (default-compile) @
> pdfbox-examples ---
> [INFO] Compiling 37 source files to
> /home/gpeterso/tools/pdfbox/trunk/examples/target/classes
> [INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
> [ERROR] COMPILATION ERROR :
> [INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
> [ERROR] Failure executing javac, but could not parse the error:
>

> The system is out of resources.
> Consult the following stack trace for details.
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
>

> The following has worked for me sometimes, but not others:
> MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=2048m"
>
> I've been rebooting every couple of builds as a work-around, but was
> wondering if there was a better way.
Hmm, sounds strange. There shouldn't be any issue compiling PDFBox on
a more or less up-to-date hardware. Did you add something to the examples
module? Does the issue always occur in the examples module? How about
deactivating the examples module (comment the module in the pom.xml in
the main directory).

> Also, why does it keep saying "Using 'ISO-8859-1' encoding to copy
> filtered resources?"  Does this mean that I need to use ISO-8859-1
> encoding in my source files?  I have some comments in other character
> sets, but could remove them if need be.
For some reasons we are using that configuration. If you use a different
encoding it maybe could get lost/scrambled after copying.

> --
> Glen K. Peterson
> (828) 393-0081

BR