Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by ajack <aj...@openbiz.biz> on 2002/02/20 04:50:24 UTC

Custom Level or customer Category or ?????

I would like to log *user* errors (that sadly they may repeat ad nausea)
that we [the operators of the system] may sometimes care about. (The more
important the customer the more we might care.) If we log these differently
from system errors we can (hopefully) handle them differently as we chose.

I can't determine (and do not see guidance in the documentation/FAQ) if I
ought use a separate log level (a custom level --- e.g. user_error,
user_debug) or a separate log category (specifically for user errors) or my
code config a standard log4j level per user level or something else
entirely.

One idea might be to create a category per user e.g. xyz.{org}.{org
unit}.{username} so we can configure the priority of each, to be more
verbose for those we are concerned about. If we used this (which might be
expensive on categories) we can use the standards levels in the code.

I really can't quite determine what best approach might be, and I' love to
hear what other users have designed/implemented & about success or failure
of an approach.

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Adam