Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/09 02:46:08 UTC

Considering lossy encoding/compression?

Hi,

Now IoTDB only supports lossless encoding method, like RLE, delta-of-delta,
etc..

I'd like to know is there a requirement that using a lossy encoding method
for storing IoT data?

If so, we can add some lossy encoding options.

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

Re: Considering lossy encoding/compression?

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hi,

another common pattern is just to downsample the datasets (as Influx does it for example). This is technically also a lossless encoding (but not as fancy).

Julian

Am 09.09.20, 05:09 schrieb "Xiangdong Huang" <sa...@gmail.com>:

    Hi,

    > I know PI has Spinning Door Transformation compress algorithm which is a
    lossy encoding method, and it has been used in many cement factories.

    Yes, if we have demand to implement a lossy encoding, I'd like to also
    choose SDT...

    Best,
    Xiangdong Huang
    School of Software, Tsinghua University