Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Avinash Anand <av...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/17 06:24:08 UTC

Help with task:

I would like to help out with the task listed at
https://helpwanted.apache.org/task.html?856abd21

Hi Team,

I would like to help with writing examples of using Apache poi with JVM
languages, like kotlin.

Regards

Avinash Anand

github - https://github.com/avinash-anand

Re: Help with task:

Posted by "pj.fanning" <fa...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Avinash. Would you be able to create a sample or samples using Kotlin?
Apache POI does support quite a lot of Microsoft document formats but maybe
xlsx is a good place to start. The XSSF API for reading and/or writing xlsx
files might be a good one to demonstrate.
Feel free to suggest something else.
Maybe you could create a Github repo and we can look at merging it in our
samples directory in the main Apache repo when the demo is complete.

Re: Help with task:

Posted by Greg Woolsey <gr...@gmail.com>.
Excellent!  One way to do it would be to submit patches or pull requests
[1] against the project that contain the new files and, if possible,
updates to the documentation web page sources [2] integrating the new
examples.

If you don't mind waiting longer for developers to review and integrate
changes you could just open a Bugzilla ticket [3] and attach examples
there.  That would rely more on a developer doing the work of integrating
the sample files in the project and documentation, which might take a
while, as we're all volunteers with families and day jobs.

I would suggest starting paralleling the existing Java examples [4].  They
can then be linked in parallel on the Examples web page [5] (currently only
spreadsheet examples), and extended to include links to the other examples
not currently referenced by the web site.  Those examples have been
developed over time in response to user questions and new functionality, so
they are a known good cross-section of POI use cases and components.

[1]  http://poi.apache.org/subversion.html
[2]  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/site/src/documentation/
[3]  https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=POI
[4]