Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Anil <an...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/19 21:27:05 UTC

Adding Host with existing VM to CloudStack

Hi All,

I knew that CloudStack does not allow to add hosts with VMs/any data
existing on host. But, I need to add a XenServer host to CloudStack with a
VM.

Is there any work around to work on my need ??

Looking forward for your help.

Regards,

anilkumar.l@axiomio.com

Re: Adding Host with existing VM to CloudStack

Posted by Gopalakrishnan S <go...@assistanz.com>.
Hi Anil,

Cloudstack is not recommanded to adding host with existing VMs. If you try
to add existing host then it will return error like "The host joining the
pool cannot have any running VMs". Because AgentManager will try to collect
all the information about host and try to allocate management IPs, etc.,
This will affect while existing VMs, networks, etc.,

http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/latest/hypervisor/xenserver.html
  a.. You must re-install Citrix XenServer if you are going to re-use a host
from a previous install.

Thank You.
Gopalakrishnan.S
Cloud Consultant - Fogpanel.

Posted by Vadim Kimlaychuk <Va...@Elion.ee>.
Anil,

	 Look my thread "VM migration to CS" -- basically you need to export VM and import after host is being added to Cloudstack.  The main reason for that is UUID of the resources registered by Cloudstack at database. Storage, networks, vifs -- all IDs are managed by cloudstack and obviously you stand-alone host has its own.
	Cloudstack put some files on each host as well. But this is minor issue.  Anyway -- adding host with existing VM require a lot of manual work with high chance of failure.  I wouldn't do that.

Vadim.