Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "Youngkin, Richard Shaffer (Rich)" <yo...@avaya.com> on 2006/03/27 16:24:51 UTC

RE: Problem writing and/or reading formula

Hi,

I'm attempting to write rows in a spreadsheet by copying an existing row
and writing it 'n' times.  An example of the existing rows are:

   1 0
   2 A1+1

Where "A" is the column and "1" & "2" are the rows.  In excel the
formula in A2 would be "=A1+1".  When my program copies row 2, the
intent is that the inserted rows will have the following pattern:

   3 A2+1
   4 A3+1

The expected values for the rows are 0, 1, 2, 3, ...  If I open the
resulting file in Excel or OpenOffice this is in fact what I see.
However, if I open the resulting file using my POI-powered application
and try and read it the rows contain the values 0, 1, 0, 0, ...

Now comes the weird part (for me anyway :>), if I open & save the file
that was created by the copy step above using either excel or openoffice
(with no *known* changes on my part) and re-read the file in my
POI-powered app I now see the expected values, namely 0, 1, 2, 3, ...
An earlier version of excel 2003 (pre-SP2) reported it corrected errors
in formulas, but didn't provide any details.  Neither excel 2003/SP2 nor
openoffice report problems with the formulas.

Any ideas what's going on and what I can do to get the expected results
without the intervening step of saving the file using excel or
openoffice?

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Youngkin / youngkin@avaya.com / (303)538-5085

Confidentiality Notice: This email contains information from Avaya Inc
and is intended for the addressee only. This communication, and any
accompanying file attachments, may contain confidential or privileged
material and are subject to the confidentiality provisions of your
signed agreement with Avaya. If you are not the intended recipient, any
use, distribution, or disclosure of this communication is strictly
prohibited. Please contact the sender if you were sent this message in
error and destroy all copies of the original message.