Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Will Meyer <wi...@bracketstyle.org> on 2005/11/18 04:48:45 UTC

Supporting a mix of user profiles/session types

For a website test plan, I have defined several user profiles, where each
profile corresponds to a certain kind of use of the system. A profile
therefore dictates a set of http requests, think times, etc. Each profile
has some interleaving and randomness in it as well.

I would like to have a complete test plan that allows me to configure the
percentages of the userbase that are represented by one profile. My thoughts
were:

- define each sesion/profile type as its own jmx file
- have some percentage breakdowns in some kind of config file (10% are power
users, 90% casual, etc.)
- pull all the different profile tests into one JMX file that would
aggregate all of them and run them according to these percentages

I am assuming I can use the Throughput Controller as the parent for each of
the profiles, which would be include controllers. I would then have a single
thread group, with only Throughput controllers as children, each of those
would have an include controller pointint o the secific profile. I would
then just have to pass the percentages as properties on the command-line,
and use these property values in teh throughput contollers.

Does this make sense, and does anyone have any better ideas for how they may
have done this in the past? I am trying to have good solid test plans for
each profile, to use for repeated testing and optimization, then also be
able to aggregate them together to represent real usage of the system.

Thanks very much for any thoughts...

Will

Re: Supporting a mix of user profiles/session types

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
The throughput controller does not sound right here....

How about multiple thread groups, one for each profile, select thread
counts in the appropriate portions, and then run them in parallel?

Otherwise, use a switching controller, with the values chosen in the
appropriate proportions.

S.