Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Dr. Stefan Reisner" <st...@syngenio.de> on 2005/10/27 22:16:21 UTC

keyword "SNAPSHOT" in depedency version is ignored

I have created the following dependency in my maven project:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
      <version>SNAPSHOT</version>
    </dependency>

This results in the following behaviour being logged on the console when
invoking maven:

D:\workspace\de.syngenio.kompass.kik>maven
 __  __
|  \/  |__ _Apache__ ___
| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|  v. 1.0.2

Attempting to download commons-logging-SNAPSHOT.jar.
WARNING: Failed to download commons-logging-SNAPSHOT.jar.

My expectation was that maven would replace SNAPSHOT (or for that any
version value in which "SNAPSHOT" occurs as a substring) by the most current
version available in the repository. What is going wrong here?

I should add that I'm new to maven, so it's probably something stupid
simple.

Best regards,
Dr. Stefan Reisner

Re: keyword "SNAPSHOT" in depedency version is ignored

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.
Hey,

I realized when writing the reply that the documentation is somehow
misleading (at least if you don't read it carefully), we will rewrite
the corresponding section to make it clearer.

If you think that the functionality that you expected should be
implemented, you could file a feature request on JIRA [1]. However,
personally, I am not sure if I would want such a functionality. Having
the latest releases downloaded automatically is not always what you want
and could even be dangerous (what if the dependency project publishes a
backwards-incompatible release?).

Cheers,
Lukas

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVEN (you have to open an account