Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Foo JH <jh...@extracktor.com> on 2007/10/03 03:58:11 UTC

Best version of Apache for Win32 deployment

Hi all,

Just want to share something I read today (fairly old news) at ApacheLounge:
http://www.apachelounge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1907

Since many (most?) people who use Apache from Apache Lounge also use
mod_fcgid and/or mod_perl, it seems that 2.2.5 will remain the best
Apache version to use until Apache 2.2.7 comes out.

It is expected that new versions of mod_fcgid and mod_perl will be
needed for Apache 2.2.7, because the proposed changes will not be
backward-compatible with Apache 2.2.5 and earlier.

My point is that for Win32 modperlers, you may want to check out 2.2.5,
and hold out for 2.2.7 (and a potentially new release of modperl to
support it).

Re: Best version of Apache for Win32 deployment

Posted by Foo JH <jh...@extracktor.com>.
> Because you used theoryx5's perl/modperl/libapreq2 built for VC8, along with
> the AL build of 2.2.4 ALSO built for VC8, everything is dandy.
>
> Equally if you used ActiveState perl (built VC6) + a VC6 build of modperl and
> libapreq2 with the ASF distribution of httpd 2.2.4, everything is dandy.

Is there a VC6 build of modperl + libapreq2? I've been following the
links on the ASF site, so it's always been theoryx5.

To date I've been using ActivePerl all the way, so it's still a combo of
VC6 Perl + VC8 modperl. But so far so good...

Posted by Foo JH <jh...@extracktor.com>.
> I haven't looked into this, but the fact that AL's
> mod_perl (compiled, presumably, with VC8) doesn't
> work with, again presumably, ActivePerl (compiled
> with VC6) may be another example of the dangers
> of mixing components compiled with VC6 and VC8.
Point taken.

Re: Best version of Apache for Win32 deployment

Posted by Octavian Rasnita <or...@gmail.com>.
Catalyst uses very many CPAN modules, and I am sure that not all of them are
pure perl.

I've compiled Catalyst using VS6, so if ActivePerl is compiled with the same
compiler, and Apache and mod_perl the same, I don't think it should be a
problem.

I have also tried using an older ppm binary of Catalyst but with the same
results.

But I think I might have a problem with the hardware, because sometimes
right after booting the system the computer doesn't start, but just keeps
restarting and nothing appears on the display, and I need to power it off,
wait a little then power it up again in order to make it boot.
That problem might be the same that causes Apache not work and I think the
issue might be the motherboard.

So I will try to change it, because it is under the warranty, and I hope
after that Apache will also work.

Octavian

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've tried installing ActivePerl 5.8.8 built 820 and with mod_perl 2.03 and
> Apache 2.2.4 the web server can start and works fine.
>
> Could Active Perl 5.8.8 build 822 have a problem?

Are the same versions of all modules being used with both
ActivePerl 820 and 822 (outside of the core ones)?

Could you post a minimal version of the problem?

--
best regards,
Randy

Re: Best version of Apache for Win32 deployment

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Octavian Rasnita wrote:

> Yes I've enabled DrWatson and I put the files with symbols in Apache
> directory, however I can't find something that could help me in the
> DrWatson log file.

Good.  Don't actually interrupt the program (the example using -g {PID}
to force the program to die).  Your server is doing well at that on it's
own :)  The crash is what you want to see, you should no longer be prompted
with the JustInTime debugger.

The next question is what does the crash dump of the *guilty* thread look
like?  You are looking for the word FAULT (all caps) in the drwatson output
from a crashed program to determine which thread segfaulted.

Bill

Re: Best version of Apache for Win32 deployment

Posted by Octavian Rasnita <or...@gmail.com>.
From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Octavian Rasnita <or...@gmail.com>.
Ok, but the strange thing is that the error appears even though I've
uninstalled both VS6 and VS.net 2005.

A few days ago I had VS6 and VS.net installed, and that error provided some
debug information (that I couldn't understand). So I went in VS.net and I
set it to not show the debug info because I thought that that window might
not appear anymore.

After that moment, the "Just in time debugger" error window use to appear
but with a different message, telling that:

"""
Visual Studio Just-In-Time Debugger
An unhandled win32 exception occurred in httpd.exe [2996]. Just-In-Time
debugging this exception failed with the following error: No installed
debugger has Just-In-Time debugging enabled. In Visual Studio, Just-In-Time
debugging
can be enabled from Tools/Options/Debugging/Just-In-Time.
Check the documentation index for 'Just-in-time debugging, errors' for more
information.
OK
"""

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Octavian Rasnita <or...@gmail.com>.
Here it is what it happened:

I've installed:
Apache/2.2.4 (Win32), Server built:   Jan  9 2007 23:17:20
perl, v5.8.8 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread built 822
latest mod_perl from TheoryX

After installing them, I started the web server and it worked fine and I
could access the success page.
I have tried stopping and starting it for more times with success.

Then I've created a default Catalyst app named "Testing", using:

catalyst Testing

I was able to access the "Testing" application using its internal web
server, so it is working.

Then I've created a virtual host for calling that Catalyst application. Here
is the content of that virtualhost:

<Virtualhost 127.0.0.1:80>
ServerName www.brk.ro
ServerAdmin teddy@zzz.ro
DocumentRoot e:/web/Testare/root

ErrorLog e:/web/Testare/logs/error.txt
CustomLog e:/web/Testare/logs/access.txt common

<IfModule mod_perl.c>
PerlRequire "e:/web/Testare/script/preload.pl"

<Location />
Options Indexes
Order allow,deny
Allow from all

SetHandler perl-script
PerlResponseHandler Testare
</Location>
</IfModule>
</Virtualhost>

Of course, I created the directory "logs" under the "Testing" app directory,
and I also created the program preload.pl that just "use" the "Testing"
module.

And I tried starting the server, but it appeared an error window "Visual
Studio just in time debugger" and it also printed the following errors in
the command prompt:

net start apache2

The Apache2 service is starting.
The Apache2 service could not be started.
A system error has occurred.
System error 1067 has occurred.
The process terminated unexpectedly.

In the error log it appeared the following errors:
[Wed Oct 03 20:19:38 2007] [notice] Child 3008: Starting 250 worker threads.
[Wed Oct 03 20:19:38 2007] [notice] Child 3008: Starting thread to listen on
port 80.
[Wed Oct 03 20:19:59 2007] [notice] Parent: Received shutdown signal --
Shutting down the server.
[Wed Oct 03 20:19:59 2007] [notice] Child 3008: Exit event signaled. Child
process is ending.
[Wed Oct 03 20:20:00 2007] [notice] Child 3008: Released the start mutex
[Wed Oct 03 20:20:01 2007] [notice] Child 3008: Waiting for 250 worker
threads to exit.
[Wed Oct 03 20:20:01 2007] [notice] Child 3008: All worker threads have
exited.
[Wed Oct 03 20:20:01 2007] [notice] Child 3008: Child process is exiting

In order to be sure, I've repeated and I tried starting again the server for
a few times.
2 times, the web server started with that Catalyst app, and I was able to
use it.
The rest of the times it shown those errors. I didn't change absolutely
anything between those trials, but I just tried stopping and restarting the
server.

However it is strange that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Thank you.

Octavian

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Foo JH <jh...@extracktor.com>.
Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> Regarding the best Apache for Windows, I have a problem running Apache
> under
> windows and I think this thread might help me.
>
> I tried Apache 2.2.4 with and without SSL support, and Apache 2.2.6 from
> apachelounge, but they still don't work.
I'm using 2.2.4 now on Win32, and it's running good for me. Much much
better than the 2.x.x series from the Apache site. Works on XP and W2k3.

A point to note though is that you should not use the modperl
compilation from AL. Use the standard-issue one from theoryx5. Install
libapreq2 from theoryx5 also.

Apache 2.2.6 is not recommended for Win32 iirc. Don't touch it.

Of course, your problems may be compounded (but I'm not sure) by the
other components you are using (Catalyst)? For me, I'm just living off
HTML::Template, DBI, and some other libraries. You may want to be more
explicit on the errors you're encountering, and at which points did the
install break.

Re: Best version of Apache for Win32 deployment

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Octavian Rasnita wrote:

> I tried Apache 2.2.4 with and without SSL support, and Apache 2.2.6 from
> apachelounge, but they still don't work.

Simply put; Apache 2.2.4 did work.

The one-off build at AL of 2.2.6 isn't 2.2.6; 2.2.5 represents an aborted
attempted at a release, none of the above represents what will be in 2.2.7
for you to move forward.  In light of this;

You are best off, needing this today, to see the earlier posts on this
list of which combinations of binaries for 2.2.4 were known to work.

Bill

Re: Best version of Apache for Win32 deployment

Posted by Octavian Rasnita <or...@gmail.com>.
Regarding the best Apache for Windows, I have a problem running Apache under
windows and I think this thread might help me.

I tried Apache 2.2.4 with and without SSL support, and Apache 2.2.6 from
apachelounge, but they still don't work.

I read that Apache 2.2.6 from apachelounge should work with mod_perl. Isn't
this true?

They all install correctly, and I can even start the server with the default
httpd.conf. It gave an error just a single time with the default httpd.conf.

If I install mod_perl, the percentage of the times when Apache doesn't want
to start and give errors is much bigger, but still most of the times it
starts and works.

If I install Catalyst and use a certain Catalyst app (that doesn't have
errors), Apache can start very rarely.

When I try to start the server, it appears an error message "Visual Studio
just in time debugger" that doesn't give any helpful information. Most of
the times in the error log is not printed absolutely anything, and sometimes
it prints that the main thread couldn't start the child thread and that the
thread was closed, or sometimes it prints that the main thread received a
kill signal and that it closes.

I had VS6 and VS.net 2005 installed, but I've uninstalled them both. I have
no program that starts with "Microsoft" in the Add-Remove programs list, but
that Visual Studio just in time debugger appears.

Do you have any idea what could have happened? I think it should be a
problem of Apache for Windows, or a Windows issue, or a hardware issue, but
I don't know how to
test it.

Thank you for any idea.

Octavian

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Foo JH wrote:

>> Right.  Except there is no 2.2.5;
> 2.2.5 is not released on the Apache web site. Those who want this
> version can get it at ApacheLounge.

They can get it from SVN too, that doesn't mean it's an ASF version.

The ASF specifically rejected it, which makes it's persistence a pretty
sorry state of affairs for the hoster :)

Bill

Re: Best version of Apache for Win32 deployment

Posted by Foo JH <jh...@extracktor.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Foo JH wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just want to share something I read today (fairly old news) at
> ApacheLounge:
> http://www.apachelounge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1907
>
> Since many (most?) people who use Apache from Apache Lounge also use
> mod_fcgid and/or mod_perl, it seems that 2.2.5 will remain the best
> Apache version to use until Apache 2.2.7 comes out.

Right.  Except there is no 2.2.5; you are best staying with 2.2.4 IF you
can live without 'rotatelogs' or other piped logs, AND you need mod_perl
or mod_fcgid.  If you don't use these modules you are best off using 2.2.6
which was released.

> It is expected that new versions of mod_fcgid and mod_perl will be
> needed for Apache 2.2.7, because the proposed changes will not be
> backward-compatible with Apache 2.2.5 and earlier.
>
> My point is that for Win32 modperlers, you may want to check out 2.2.5,
> and hold out for 2.2.7 (and a potentially new release of modperl to
> support it).

Again, there is no 2.2.5, so there is no purpose to your struggling with
it and any associated bugs.  Also Tom Donovan has cautioned users against
using the hacks they applied to 2.2.6 to get it to work, use it if you
must but it's apropos of nothing to the final corrections.

Of course 2.2.4 essentially worked, while 2.2.7 will give the modperl'ers
on Windows something they have BEGGED for forever, the chance to see parsing
errors at startup from their httpd.conf file(!!!)

ALL 2.x versions of Apache on Windows had never hooked up the pseudo-posix
stderr of MSVCRT, which is why fprintf(stderr...) constructs from within
modperl rarely did what they were expected to do.  With the 2.2.6 version,
things broke further as stdin went away after it was consumed (it was replaced
with NULL, but not at the MSVCRT layer).

If you update to svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr/branches/1.2.x/ today,
you'll find the 80/20 has been resolved; we now plug into pseudo-posix
handles.  There are still some lingering issues to be fixed in httpd itself.
Tom Donovan and Randy have already approved with Win32 fixes, but we still
are waiting on an httpd'er to review the essential fix to log.c.  I'll
send another note to the modperl community when we believe that the
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x/ is ready for intensive
review and testing, after that patch is applied (same applies to 2.0.x, needs
patch review, while apr/branches/0.9.x/ has already been patched).

Bill