Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Joe Peer <jo...@wap-force.net> on 2000/10/25 11:30:30 UTC

next stable release?

hi,

i have got the following problem(s):

- i discovered some major changes from 0.5 version (which are *very good*
for example it is good to have a HttpServletRequest Object accessible in
validate(..), and so on)

- I totally agree that it is better having a well designed powerful
framework with new ideas included (which leads of cource to a non-backward
compatible version) than a backward compatible less powerful framework

- but i dont like to work with the 0.5 version (it's just a matter of
feeling ... i constantly think i miss some cool features of the next
release, can't help myself ;=)

- but if i work with the 1.0 codebase and i am getting an error I never know
wether it is my fault or a struts bug (since it is not officially released
and therefore not considered relatively bug - free) - and  i fear i am too
untalented to figure that out myself...

so my only chance to work successfully with struts is to get a 1.0 release
my question finally is: when may i expect a version 1.0 coming out
[<nasty>apacheCon is over ;=)</nasty>]

or put it in other words: how stable are the current builds of struts (i
downloaded jakarta-struts-20001024.zip today), should i use them?

thanks in advance!
Joe Peer

=======================
joepeer@wap-force.net

Re: next stable release?

Posted by Mikael Eriksson <mi...@bea.com>.
Am I the only one having problems with the Release Notes page? When
I get to it I just se the headers "Below is a list of new features..." but
I don't se any list of changes.

 Regards
 Mikael

Re: next stable release?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Matthias Kerkhoff wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> > There will be some substantial changes in the next few days (I fly home from
> > ApacheCon tomorrow) that will affect the form tags, plus some new stuff that
> > won't affect backwards compatibility.  If you want to experiment and help me
> > find the bugs (please report them to our bug tracking system at
> > http://znutar.cortexity.com:8888) that would be great -- if you are trying to
> > build apps based on it, then I would wait a few more weeks until the feature
> > changes stop and we focus solely on bug fixes.
>
> Could you give us a rough outline of those coming changes? I'm about to add
> some features to the html-related tags myself. However, it wouldn't make any
> sense for me doing this, if you make / plan / have made modifications in the
> same area.

On the Struts web site <http://jakarta.apache.org/struts> there is a
link to the
"Release Notes" document that is accumulating all the changes that will
appear in
1.0.  The current website version of this document is mostly up to date
-- I will
post a completely up to date version when I get back (I'm currently en
route from
ApacheCon Europe).

> --
> Matthias                        (mailto:make@BESToffers.de)

Craig McClanahan

====================
                                    Applications to Tomcat

Re[2]: next stable release?

Posted by Matthias Kerkhoff <ma...@BESToffers.de>.
Hi Craig,

Re: next stable release?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Joe Peer wrote:

> hi,
>
> i have got the following problem(s):
>
> - i discovered some major changes from 0.5 version (which are *very good*
> for example it is good to have a HttpServletRequest Object accessible in
> validate(..), and so on)

Hi Joe ... thanks for the vote of confidence!  More below.

> - I totally agree that it is better having a well designed powerful
> framework with new ideas included (which leads of cource to a non-backward
> compatible version) than a backward compatible less powerful framework

In general, I'm very concerned about backwards compatibility -- this is the key
reason that there has not been a 1.0 release yet.  Once that happens, I'm going
to be very resistant to the idea of introducing non-backwards-compatible
enhancements, because people need something they can rely on.

> - but i dont like to work with the 0.5 version (it's just a matter of
> feeling ... i constantly think i miss some cool features of the next
> release, can't help myself ;=)

The 1.0 codebase is currently "bleeding edge".  I am changing the various
features to their final forms, but things are still pretty unstable -- and not
all of the changes have quite been completed yet.  It is only *very* lightly
tested at this point, so I would not be at all surprised to find bugs (although,
as of last weekend at least, the example app was restored to working correctly).

> - but if i work with the 1.0 codebase and i am getting an error I never know
> wether it is my fault or a struts bug (since it is not officially released
> and therefore not considered relatively bug - free) - and  i fear i am too
> untalented to figure that out myself...

That's the kind of thing that happens with "latest and greatest" code, sometimes
:-)

> so my only chance to work successfully with struts is to get a 1.0 release
> my question finally is: when may i expect a version 1.0 coming out
> [<nasty>apacheCon is over ;=)</nasty>]

Much of my time (more than half) in November will be devoted to finishing up
Struts 1.0.  I now hope to have a beta-quality release by the end of November,
and a final release as soon after that as we've squashed the bugs.

> or put it in other words: how stable are the current builds of struts (i
> downloaded jakarta-struts-20001024.zip today), should i use them?

There will be some substantial changes in the next few days (I fly home from
ApacheCon tomorrow) that will affect the form tags, plus some new stuff that
won't affect backwards compatibility.  If you want to experiment and help me
find the bugs (please report them to our bug tracking system at
http://znutar.cortexity.com:8888) that would be great -- if you are trying to
build apps based on it, then I would wait a few more weeks until the feature
changes stop and we focus solely on bug fixes.

> thanks in advance!
> Joe Peer

Craig

                                    Applications to Tomcat