Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/16 18:27:43 UTC

A silly question about the -Pserial profile

  Do we *really* need it anymore ?

As far as we don't package MINA with the rxtx.jar lib, we should be
safe, legally speaking. And it's as simple as defining the rxtx
dependency as provided, AFAIK.

If we can get rid of this profile, things would be quite easier for
everybody, including the poor guy (me) trying to whip the release :/

thoughts ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: A silly question about the -Pserial profile

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.
  On 9/16/10 9:47 PM, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:

>> FYI, if you want to test the new distribution process, you can run :
>> mvn clean install -Papache-release -Dmaven.test.skip
> Why are maven.test.skip needed?

Just to speed up the execution. But if you have 10 minutes to lose, feel
free to run without it :)

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 8:56 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org> wrote:
> so here is what we will have in the release, to clarify the mess, and to be
> sure I'm not forgetting anything :
> - we will use the -Pserial profile to build the transport-serial module
> - when building the distribution, the transport-serial won't be added in the
> bin, but will be in the sources
> - the rxtx.jar will *not* be injected in bin, obviouly
> - the rxtx dependency can remain declared as <provided>, it does not harm
> (even if it does not protect the users from including some LGPL code in his
> distribution)

Sounds good to me.

> FYI, if you want to test the new distribution process, you can run :
> mvn clean install -Papache-release -Dmaven.test.skip

Why are maven.test.skip needed?

/niklas

Re: A silly question about the -Pserial profile

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.
  On 9/16/10 8:23 PM, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny<el...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> As far as we don't package MINA with the rxtx.jar lib, we should be safe,
>> legally speaking. And it's as simple as defining the rxtx dependency as
>> provided, AFAIK.
> I thought the idea was that the user should be made aware before Maven
> downloaded rxtx. Defining it as provided won't do that.

no, but the jar won't be packaged, so the user will have to add it
manually if he wants the result to work.
>> If we can get rid of this profile, things would be quite easier for
>> everybody, including the poor guy (me) trying to whip the release :/
> As far as I can tell, this profile should not be related to releasing
> if we do as discussed previously (not include the serial module in our
> binary package).
Ok, let's get back to what we agreed on, and stop discussing now that we
are so close to a release we are all expecting for months :) (sorry,
that was my fault)

so here is what we will have in the release, to clarify the mess, and to
be sure I'm not forgetting anything :
- we will use the -Pserial profile to build the transport-serial module
- when building the distribution, the transport-serial won't be added in
the bin, but will be in the sources
- the rxtx.jar will *not* be injected in bin, obviouly
- the rxtx dependency can remain declared as <provided>, it does not
harm (even if it does not protect the users from including some LGPL
code in his distribution)

Is that ok ?

FYI, if you want to test the new distribution process, you can run :
mvn clean install -Papache-release -Dmaven.test.skip

all the generated packages will be found in the distribution/target
directory.

I still have to check that the release does not upload the distribution
module into the maven repo, this will be done tomorrow.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.