Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Om <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/27 09:51:10 UTC

[MENTOR] .p12 file for releasing InstallApacheFlex

> Dave:
>

> Is it possible to derive these p12 files from KEYS? I think it is likely,
>> if so we have a path to signing of these artifacts by project release
>> managers
>>

> I will investigate this approach.  I have limited knowledge about this,
> but I believe that OpenSSL might help us here.  Will let you know soon.

Dave,

I tried this using gnupg and openssl without any luck.  Unless someone
knows how to do it, I have hit a dead end.

Erik and I have come up with this proposal to move forward.  Please let us
know your thoughts/suggestions.

For the binary releases:
* Erik de Bruin and I are the release managers for this tool
* We will create a new .p12 with a secure password.  We will NOT not check
the .p12 file in to SVN.
* I will create the Windows release on my machine using the .p12 file to
sign the AIR app
* I will securely email the .p12 file and the password (in separate emails)
to Erik de Bruin
* Erik creates the Mac release using the same .p12 file
* Erik and I sign the respective releases using our PGP keys in the Apache
Way.

For the source release:
 * I will create a compressed file with the source code and sign it with my
PGP key

Are we missing something?

Thanks,
Om

Re: [MENTOR] .p12 file for releasing InstallApacheFlex

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 4:32 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>
> > (1) I think that we need to get confirmation that a .p12 signed release
> is ok with legal-discuss@.
> > That it is a permissible for a convenience binary. I think that is
> likely and I'll look into it tomorrow....

In case I wasn't clear earlier, my proposal is to sign it with both a
self-signed digital certificate (.p12) file AND then sign the resulting
binary using our Apache KEYS.

Signing with a .p12 (self-signed or from a CA) is a required step in
creating the AIR application.

> IMO distributing (not "releasing") a signed binary is fine, as long as
> it's not signed by the (P)PMC - individuals (including more than one
> if that's possible and useful) can sign convenience binaries and that
> only means it's them who created the binary, the (P)PMC won't provide
> any guarantees for binaries anyway.

Will this change if we wanted to publish the binary installers on our
site?  IMO, it would be beneficial if the mirrors kick in to reduce the
load on Apache servers.  So that means that we would have to go through the
normal release process.

> > (2) We probably need to have a release VOTE for the source code making
> up the
> > InstallApacheFlex package...
>
> Absolutely - the ASF releases source code, and if convenience binaries
> are distributed they must be based on released source code - search
> for "binar" at http://apache.org/dev/release.html for more info.
>
> So I'd say in this case a vote is needed to release the installer's
> source code, and another one (or the same with two decisions) to
> authorize whoever produces the convenience binaries to upload them to
> http://apache.org/dist/incubator/flex/FOO/binaries/

Makes sense.  I will start a vote thread once we are ready with the
artifacts.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Om,

Sorry for the delay I've been busy with work and Apache OpenOffice (incubating).

(1) I think that we need to get confirmation that a .p12 signed release is ok with legal-discuss@. That it is a permissible for a convenience binary. I think that is likely and I'll look into it tomorrow.

(2) We probably need to have a release VOTE for the source code making up the InstallApacheFlex package, but I'm not completely sure. Perhaps Bertrand can answer that question.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,