Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org> on 2004/10/20 02:00:55 UTC

[feedparser] Getting Brad Neuberg CVS commit

Hi gang.

Brad Neuberg has been working with me on the Jakarta Feed Parser for the
last 6 months, and has proved himself capable of committing to CVS via
the patch mechanism.  He has implemented large changes to the feed
parser, such as heuristics for more advanced weblog provider probing,
unit test infrastructure, and more.  He has also shown that he can
communicate on the Jakarta Commons mailing list concerning patches and
design changes, as he has been a member on this list for the last five
months.

Brad is currently working on landing a large set of patches, which he
will discuss on this list.  It would help him and I if he had CVS access.

Can I get Brad CVS access to FeedParser in the sandbox?

Kevin

get a free iPod!

RE: [feedparser] Getting Brad Neuberg CVS commit

Posted by Brad Neuberg <bk...@columbia.edu>.
Hi folks.  Thanks for all the feedback.  One thing is I've been hired by
Kevin at his startup company, Rojo, and one of my main full-time
responsibilities is to help maintain and improve the Jakarta Feed
Parser.  I'll continue posting all of my patches here.  One of the issues
is that the quantity and size of my patches is increasing, such as one I am
going to land this morning; it is getting difficult for Kevin to hand apply
all of the patches since he is quite busy with getting other parts of Rojo
going.  This was starting to affect my work since I was waiting for him to
apply some patches before moving on to the next ones, but it was taking him
awhile to do so because of his work load.  I understand, though, that the
Apache Jakarta community has its own process that I must respect.

At 01:54 AM 10/21/2004, you wrote:
>I know it feels like a chicken and an egg sort of problem...  One of the
>historical aspects of commons is that half the code came from other
>projects, and half started from scratch.  At least for the code that came
>from other projects meant that they already had committers involved,
>facilitating access.  And those started from scratch where started by people
>involved in Commons already.
>
>I always recommend that someone pick up one or two projects to be involved
>with.  That way, as traction is lost on one, progress can be made on the
>other, and you don't get too siloed...
>
>I am sure that with a periond of involvement the demonstrates his abilities
>and that he gets the "Apache Way" that he will gain access.  We just all
>need to get to know him!
>
>Eric

Brad Neuberg, bkn3@columbia.edu
Senior Software Engineer, Rojo Networks
Weblog: http://www.codinginparadise.org

Check out Rojo, an RSS and Atom news aggregator that I work on.  Visit
http://rojo.com for more info. Feel free to ask me for an invite!

Rojo is Hiring!  If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social Networking,
Java, Open Source, etc... then come work with us at Rojo.  If you recommend
someone and we hire them you'll get a free iPod!  See
http://www.rojonetworks.com/JobsAtRojo.html.

Re: [feedparser] Getting Brad Neuberg CVS commit

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org>.
Craig McClanahan wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:00:56 -0700, Kevin A. Burton
><bu...@newsmonster.org> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>

>>When a new projects is created are you telling me that you don't give
>>CVS commit to the lead developers? How would IBM feel if when they
>>contributed Xerces that you wouldn't give their lead engineers access to
>>CVS?
>>

>If you had gone through the incubation process
>(http://incubator.apache.org) the way that IBM is doing for Derby, or
>BEA is doing for Beehive, that is indeed what would have happened.
>However, I suspect there would have been pushback on a project with
>only two active developers, both working for the same company.

Yes... which is why I wanted a place to make forward progression until
we're ready to push it through the incubator.

Posted by Rory Winston <rw...@eircom.net>.

>Several of them seem to apply to feedparser.

I realize that a few of them apply but they also apply to most early
projects. Our goal was to start building a community while it was under
development and as we moved towards 1.0.

Its partly my fault in that I haven't had time to blog about FeedParser
or attract more of a community.

Theres a HUGE effort behind RSS/Atom right now and we need to do a
better job at getting FeedParser out there.

Right now its VERY stable and I feel a 1.0 is around the corner we're
still trying to stabilize it (which is difficult since the specs keep
changing).

I can sympathise with your difficulties. Sometimes writing the code seems
like
the trivial part - the community building is a *lot* of work, albeit
essential.

Cheers,
Rory

Re: [feedparser] Getting Brad Neuberg CVS commit

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org>.

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
It might be helpful to look at the Warning Signs portion of this page:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/newproject.html

Several of them seem to apply to feedparser.

David

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org>.
matthew.hawthorne wrote:

> Kevin A. Burton wrote:
>
>> Listen... I'm sorry if we're trying to move too fast. We're a startup
>> and on a very aggressive schedule. We're trying to get FeedParser to
>> 1.0 ASAP because its a critical portion of Rojo. Brad is a lead
>> developer and its becoming difficult to synchronize our work without
>> CVS commits. We're constantly having to coordinate our commits due to
>> CVS limitations. If we were using a more anarchic revision control
>> system like bitkeeper or arch this wouldn't be as much of a problem.
>

> I apologize in advance if I'm out of line, but has anyone considered
> if the jakarta-commons-sandbox is truly the best place for [feedparser]?
>
> Based on recent emails, it doesn't seem to be a good fit.

I've had a bit of discussion about this with Sam Ruby and other people
within Apache.  The FeedParser was too early to go though the incubator
and I just really wanted a solid place to make a lot of progress at the
time.

Anyway... opening this up might be a can of worms but it seems that the
FeedParser would have to go through the incubator to make it into a project.

Posted by "matthew.hawthorne" <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org>.
Craig McClanahan wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:14:33 -0700, Kevin A. Burton
><bu...@newsmonster.org> wrote:
>

>>Brad is working full time on feedparser and you're essentially telling
>>him he can't get CVS access until its 1.0. How are we supposed to GET it
>>to 1.0 it he can't get CVS access?
>>

>That's certainly not clear from the email history.  For example, you
>could help this cause a lot if you mentioned (in your CVS commit
>messages) which one were applied because Brad did them instead of you.
> Nobody can tell that he did *any* of the work.

I've documented the patches Brad has given me in everyone of my commits.
Sorry if it wasn't in the email...

>>Do you see the problem here?
>>
>>I think the issue is that right now for the jakarta sandbox if you give
>>Brad access then you're giving him access to a number of other projects.
>>He doesn't want access to other projects he just wants access to FeedParser.
>>

>The deeper issue is that you seem to expect Apache to work like
>SourceForge, which it doesn't.  Committer access is earned (based on
>demonstrated contributions), not requested -- and it's voted on by
>other committers (in this particular case, those who commit to Jakarta
>Commons projects), not granted to non-current-committers simply
>because of asking.

Brad is one of the lead developers on the FeedParser. Its a NEW project
and we're both working on it.

FeedParser is a contribution from Rojo and we're both working on it
here! Its very difficult for us to make forward progress if I can't give
a lead developer CVS commit.

Posted by Brad Neuberg <bk...@columbia.edu>.
At 06:25 PM 10/20/2004, you wrote:
>On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:14:33 -0700, Kevin A. Burton
><bu...@newsmonster.org> wrote:
> >
> > Brad is working full time on feedparser and you're essentially telling
> > him he can't get CVS access until its 1.0. How are we supposed to GET it
> > to 1.0 it he can't get CVS access?
> >

>That's certainly not clear from the email history.  For example, you
>could help this cause a lot if you mentioned (in your CVS commit
>messages) which one were applied because Brad did them instead of you.
>  Nobody can tell that he did *any* of the work.

I've submitted alot of patches to Kevin for the Feed Parser (through this
list), but when he did the CVS commits he did not make it clear that I had
developed the code.  I've asked him to make this clearer on CVS commits in
the future.

RE: [feedparser] Getting Brad Neuberg CVS commit

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
<bu...@newsmonster.org> wrote:

> Brad is working full time on feedparser and you're essentially telling
> him he can't get CVS access until its 1.0. How are we supposed to GET it
> to 1.0 it he can't get CVS access?

That's certainly not clear from the email history.  For example, you
could help this cause a lot if you mentioned (in your CVS commit
messages) which one were applied because Brad did them instead of you.
 Nobody can tell that he did *any* of the work.

> Do you see the problem here?
>
> I think the issue is that right now for the jakarta sandbox if you give
> Brad access then you're giving him access to a number of other projects.
> He doesn't want access to other projects he just wants access to FeedParser.

The deeper issue is that you seem to expect Apache to work like
SourceForge, which it doesn't.  Committer access is earned (based on
demonstrated contributions), not requested -- and it's voted on by
other committers (in this particular case, those who commit to Jakarta
Commons projects), not granted to non-current-committers simply
because of asking.

The fact that jakarta-commons-sandbox is all under the control of a
single set of karma is an unfortunate fact of our current CVS
implementation, but it makes absolutely no difference to the case.
Any prospective Commons committer who couldn't be trusted to play by
the rules shouldn't be a committer on *any* Apache project.  On the
other hand, granting sandbox-wide or commons-wide (which happens when
sandbox projects get promoted) karma is a key tool in increasing the
community of active developers on individual packages, because it
reduces the barrier to jump in and help.

> Kevin

Craig

Re: [feedparser] Getting Brad Neuberg CVS commit

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org>.

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.
Hi Kevin, Brad

[...]

Brad, I hope you understand what I'm trying to say and I hope you will
continue contributing to jakarta-commons.

Best Regards
Dirk

(1)
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&w=2&r=1&s=commit+privs+for+feedparser&q=b

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
If he is already a Jakarta committer, then sandbox commit privliges is
automatic, just need to ask for it.  Otherwise, if not, then you need to
call for a [vote].

Eric