Posted to user@metron.apache.org by Gonçalo Pedras <go...@ctd.pt> on 2019/11/21 16:10:15 UTC

Score not being issued by ThreatIntel Enrichment

Hi,
I've deployed Metron alongside the current Ambari version using the Metron HDP3.1 support provided by a branch in the GitHub project.

Fast forward, I'm testing Metron:

1.       I've deployed a custom CSV parser with 3 fields ( 2 dummy fields and a IP field). The parser works fine.

2.       Created a custom template for my sensor with the required fields (guid, ip_src_addr, ip_dst_addr, ...) for Elasticsearch for the pattern indexes. Works fine, even Metron can recognize the indexes.

3.       Created a custom Threat Intel source (extractor  enrichment config JSON files, and the CSV content file). Also works fine, I've tested it using Stellar with ENRICHMENT_GET function, returning the content I wrote in the CSV file.

4.       Configured Threat Triage for the sensor with the rule "ip_src_addr == '<an IP I specified in the CSV file>'" and the score of 5. Doesn't work... The data in the Elasticsearch's index is still being issued without the threat score.

The enrichment config of the threat intel source:
{
     "zkQuorum" : "XXXXXXXX:XXXX",
     "sensorToFieldList": {
               "xcsvtest": {
                               "type": "THREAT_INTEL",
                               "fieldToEnrichmentTypes": {
                                               "ip_src_addr" : ["testList"]
                               }
               }
     }
}

My enrichment configuration:

{
                "enrichment": {
                               "fieldMap": {
                                               "geo": [
                                                               "ip_src_addr"
                                               ]
                               },
                               "fieldToTypeMap": {},
                               "config": {}
                },
                "threatIntel": {
                               "fieldMap": {},
                               "fieldToTypeMap": {
                                               "ip_src_addr": [
                                                               "testList"
                                               ]
                               },
                               "config": {},
                               "triageConfig": {
                                               "riskLevelRules": [
                                                               {
                                                                               "name": "All_threat",
                                                                               "comment": "",
                                                                               "rule": "ip_src_addr == '8.8.8.8' ",
                                                                               "reason": null,
                                                                               "score": "5"
                                                               }
                                               ],
                                               "aggregator": "MAX",
                                               "aggregationConfig": {}
                               }
                },
                "configuration": {}
}

Appreciate any help.
Thanks

RE: Score not being issued by ThreatIntel Enrichment

Posted by Gonçalo Pedras <go...@ctd.pt>.
Hi,
It works. Thanks for the help. Really appreciated.

Posted by Simon Elliston Ball <si...@simonellistonball.com>.
The threat intel rules will only be run to create a score if the is_alert
field is present in the alert message. You can use the enrichments stage to
set this based on detections / threat intel / enrichment sources etc. If
that field is set true, then you should see your scoring rules run.

Simon

simon elliston ball
@sireb