Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/18 17:57:31 UTC

[DISCUSS] Jetty 9.2 dependency licensing issues

I'm working on upgrading to Jetty 9.2.x to fix:

Part of the upgrade requires updating dependencies for the servlet and jsp
jars. Jetty has two different versions of jsp implementations it is
supposed to work. The jetty-jsp works fine but I'm not sure if the
dependencies are compatible with Apache licensing.  Supposedly Jetty also
works with apache-jsp (which is Tomcat) but I've had lots of issues trying
to get it to work right.

I know we can't use GPL licensed dependencies but I think the dependencies
below are both GPL and CDDL.  Can we still use the dependencies since they
are also under CDDL or is that not allowed?

<dependency>
<groupId>javax.servlet</groupId>
<artifactId>javax.servlet-api</artifactId>
<version>3.1</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>javax.servlet.jsp</groupId>
<artifactId>javax.servlet.jsp-api</artifactId>
<version>2.3.1</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.glassfish.web</groupId>
<artifactId>javax.servlet.jsp</artifactId>
<version>2.3.2</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.glassfish.web</groupId>
<artifactId>javax.servlet.jsp.jstl</artifactId>
<version>1.2.2</version>
</dependency>

Re: [DISCUSS] Jetty 9.2 dependency licensing issues

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
For each Java Spec, The geronimo specs project within Geronimo is what's
responsible for generating the spec jar within ASF.  The exception is
servlet which is owned by Tomcat.  The JMS 2.0 JAR is apache licensed and a
pretty well working equivalent of the API JAR.

You can see what we did for Artemis to get it to use Servlet 3.1 from
Tomcat, but still run Jetty

https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/blob/master/pom.xml#L434

John

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
I did some more research and it looks like Jetty 9.2.x and above now
defaults to the apache-jsp (tomcat) implementation.  This is actually ideal
as it would take care of the licensing issues.  So I'm going to go ahead
and stick with that version.  I had a couple of issues getting that
implementation to work but I think it's just a config issue and I have a
couple of ideas on how to fix it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Christopher Shannon <

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Is activemq using JSPs?

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
Thanks John and Hiram.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
Dan,

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [DISCUSS] Jetty 9.2 dependency licensing issues

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.