Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/04 11:02:20 UTC

FST.pack() J9 bug

Hi

I was asked by someone in IBM about this bug which is listed under our
JavaBugs page:

*FST.pack() produces corrupt index (Lucene 4) because a loop is miscompiled
*

The J9 team would like to investigate that and they I've asked me for some
more details. Since we don't have an issue reported, I searched and came up
with several links:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-dev/201404.mbox/%3Calpine.DEB.2.02.1404031005110.14297@frisbee%3E
http://marc.info/?l=solr-dev&m=134454323703970

Since the Wiki page describes a work around to disable JIT optimization for
FST.pack(), I wanted to ask:

   1. Are our Jenkins builds with J9 disable this optimization currently?
   2. Do we know if this bug still happens?
   3. Is there a test which can reproduce the bug (even if it doesn't
   always reproduce it) so the J9 folks can debug?
   I am not sure if the tests in the above link are still relevant or were
   good at reproducing the bug.

If it's not easily reproducible, is there additional information besides
what's written on the Wiki page that you think can help them investigate
this?

Shai

RE: FST.pack() J9 bug

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi Shai,

just install J9 and the run *all* core tests in a loop, ideally with “-Dtests.jvms=1”. It is important to run *all* tests, because it does not happen on a single test case alone.

In fact, it could be that some recent changes in FSTs may have worked around that issue. I testes the last time approx. half a year ago when I installed the last J9 update. Maybe search for occurrences in the mailing list archive. I actually ran Jenkins a few days without the disabled optimization and failures happened quite often.

In addition to the TAR.GZ issue: What the status about the full encryption support? Why does Oracle offers downloads with full encryption support (we need that for Lucene), but J9 has to be patched first? With unpatched policy files you cannot even run the build at all, because it already fails while trying to connect to issues.apache.org with SSL/TLS or some of the Maven repositories with https:// URLs. It looks like J9 only supports 1024 bits certificates, which are no longer used and got replaced by most providers recently (so affecting Maven and issues.apache.org).

Unfortunately I have no time to test J9 locally at the moment, sorry.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen