Posted to proton@qpid.apache.org by Dominic Evans <do...@uk.ibm.com> on 2014/12/08 13:16:57 UTC

Re: no slowdown in 10 gigamessage test

Hi Michael,

Michael Goulish wrote
> After getting complete data for a 10 gigamessage interbox test,
> ( proton-c, event interface, code here:
> https://github.com/mick-goulish/proton_c_clients.git )
>
> ...I see that there is no gradual speed change at all over the duration of
> the test.

I noticed that there wasn't a properly declared license in your repository,
I wonder if you'd be willing to add a LICENSE for
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 and update the headers of psend.c
/ precv.c to match? Currently there seems to be a comedy copyright header
instead :)

This would allow other qpid-proton developers to contribute to these as
generic event-driven samples and/or performance harnesses that could end up
under either ./contrib/ or ./examples/

Re: no slowdown in 10 gigamessage test

Posted by Michael Goulish <mg...@redhat.com>.
OK, I have them at last in a new directory:  examples/engine/c

Thanks to astitcher for help in repairing (some of the) damaged parts of my mind.

I do not have anything in the tree except the two programs themselves.
No surrounding ... anything.

If there should be more stuff around these examples, please let
me know what you would like to see and I will get it in hopefully
without needing any more cognitive surgery.

On Mon, 2014-12-08 at 05:16 -0700, Dominic Evans wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>

> Michael Goulish wrote
> > After getting complete data for a 10 gigamessage interbox test,
> > ( proton-c, event interface, code here:
> > https://github.com/mick-goulish/proton_c_clients.git )
> >
> > ...I see that there is no gradual speed change at all over the duration of
> > the test.
>
> I noticed that there wasn't a properly declared license in your repository,
> I wonder if you'd be willing to add a LICENSE for
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 and update the headers of psend.c
> / precv.c to match? Currently there seems to be a comedy copyright header
> instead :)
>
> This would allow other qpid-proton developers to contribute to these as
> generic event-driven samples and/or performance harnesses that could end up
> under either ./contrib/ or ./examples/

Myself I'd like to see these go directly in the proton tree ASAP, with
the required copyright of course :)

I think they will play a role like qpid-send and qpid-receive do for
testing the Qpid broker & clients. They are tremendously useful building
blocks for all kinds of interesting tests. I want to be able to use them
in proton ctest tests, dispatch tests etc. etc.

Where to put them? A lesson from qpid-send/receive is that there are
people downstream who don't always work from source distros that really
need tools like these, so wherever they go I'd like to see them be
installed. I would suggest putting them under examples, since a)
examples are installed and b) they actually are good examples as well.

Re: no slowdown in 10 gigamessage test

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Michael Goulish <mg...@redhat.com>.
Dominic --

I'm trying to get these into proton, under examples/engine/c , but I am
having some problems because I am brain-damaged.

Attempting to repair brain-damage now.

( And in the proton checkin, the licenses will be standard, not silly. )

( ALthough I *did* like the idea of a PL that is meant to be (partly) sung... )