Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Pedro Larroy <pe...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/28 16:29:49 UTC

[DISCUSS] Slim down scope of CI

Hi

I would like to propose a discussion to slim down CI by dropping some jobs
which are of questionable value, other which have received little community
support:

- Drop centos: we can't support every distro, if anything we should clearly
specify which versions of base libraries are needed and test for the latest
stable release of Ubuntu. I don't see much value in testing different
distribution flavours. Not sure what was the rationale for adding CentOS in
the past but this might no longer apply.

- Drop windows: windows has received little attention from the community
and mostly has served as a gatekeeping from CI.

Dropping windows would allow to migrate to a more advanced CI framework
such as Drone or a fully container based one given that Jenkins has quite a
bit of baggage and for the most part we are testing on containers.

Pedro.

Re: [DISCUSS] Slim down scope of CI

Posted by Pedro Larroy <pe...@gmail.com>.
Gathering this data would be useful to make a decision.

I myself have invested lots of time porting to other platforms such as PI,
JETSON, Arm or Android. If the community is interested in maintaining a
platform there should be action. For a long time I haven't seen much effort
there. Ideally I like to see several platforms windows for portability
reasons. But I question there's bandwidth for that.

On Wednesday, August 28, 2019, Aaron Markham <aa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I have an open issue about gathering data per platform install so there
can
> be an informed discussion on prioritization or even cutting platforms.
> Until then... I wouldn't cut one.
>
> I would like to hear the pros and cons for dropping some native platform
> support in favor of containers. But... For windows I believe Nvidia still
> hasn't provided a way to access the GPU from docker on most windows OSs.
If

Posted by Aaron Markham <aa...@gmail.com>.