Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by go canal <go...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2015/10/03 05:47:22 UTC

matrix inversion in plan ?

HiI saw some distributed matrix functions included in Samsara now. Wondering if we have a plan to support matrix inversion ?BTW, am I correct that it is distributed memory based, not out-of-core ? thanks, canal

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by go canal <go...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
many thanks, here is the details:
given square matrix Z, . get Z inverse Zi. get degree of freedome of Zi : U. finally, calculate final which is:  A + B * U * C

thanks, canal

     On Monday, October 5, 2015 2:00 PM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

This sort of thing would definitely compute the inverse.
And it is definitely to be avoided.
How about you give some specifics so I can say what should be done?

On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 7:31 PM, go canal <go...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

Thank you all, the solver is something like this, am I correct:
Matrix m = ....
Matrix inverse = new QRDecomposition(m).solve(new DiagonalMatrix(1, m.rowSize()));

The problem I have is that the matrix is too big, I need distributed, or out-of-core solution.

 thanks, canal

     On Monday, October 5, 2015 6:25 AM, Peter Jaumann <pe...@gmail.com> wrote:

 This should be done with a matrix solver indeed!!!

On Oct 4, 2015 11:53 AM, "Ted Dunning" <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is almost certain that starting with an inversion is a serious error.
>
> Are you sure you don't want a matrix solver instead?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Oct 3, 2015, at 20:09, go canal <go...@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
> >
> > oh, it is so unfortunate that the first step of my project requires the
inversion of a very large matrix. will have to revert back to scalapack or
MR based solutions I guess.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
Totally an approximation; depends on why people are asking for the inverse
and whether it'd do.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
Go, if you'd like to put your research team in touch with the list we may
be able to help work through a good approach; let us know.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by go canal <go...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
That isn't enough detail.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by go canal <go...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by go canal <go...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
both sparse and dense.
there are a few steps for the whole calculation:. inverse of M. get degree of freedom. multiplication. addition
in fact i need to support both double and complex double for either distributed memory based or out-of-core.
I found one MR based solution for large matrix inversion https://github.com/JingenXiang/MatrixInversion and I have modified the code to support complex double. Execution seems ok but i do not understand the final output format. It seems that the columns are swapped.  thanks, canal

     On Monday, October 5, 2015 12:26 PM, Allen McIntosh <am...@appcomsci.com> wrote:

 1) Is m sparse?
2) Once you have computed "inverse", what are you going to do with it?

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by Allen McIntosh <am...@appcomsci.com>.
1) Is m sparse?

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by go canal <go...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by Peter Jaumann <pe...@gmail.com>.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
If there's a need for inversion that's good info; would love to know the
purpose to get a sense of how people want to use the product.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by Allen McIntosh <am...@appcomsci.com>.

Re: matrix inversion in plan ?

Posted by go canal <go...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.