Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@localbar.com> on 2000/07/05 09:16:03 UTC

Wildcard utility

I have written a wildcard matching utility (not complete yet), and would
like help with finding any problems with it before I proceed to the next
level (return the array of wildcard matches).

Anyone wish to create more test samples??

Now supported;
* = zero or many characters
? = 1 and only 1 character

At a "*" it will scan the input string up until the following character
is found in the input string.
Meaning; No subexpression is evaluated. A pure, character per character
thing...I.E;
"abbaabc" matched again "*abc", will Not match.
I leave all that for the true RegExp matcher.

I believe the performance is acceptable (~11 microsecond call overhead
+  2-3 microseconds per character on my machine, in Java interperted
mode.)

Niclas

Re: Wildcard utility

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> I have written a wildcard matching utility (not complete yet), and would
> like help with finding any problems with it before I proceed to the next
> level (return the array of wildcard matches).
>
> Anyone wish to create more test samples??
>
> Now supported;
> * = zero or many characters
> ? = 1 and only 1 character
>
> At a "*" it will scan the input string up until the following character
> is found in the input string.
> Meaning; No subexpression is evaluated. A pure, character per character
> thing...I.E;
> "abbaabc" matched again "*abc", will Not match.
> I leave all that for the true RegExp matcher.
>
> I believe the performance is acceptable (~11 microsecond call overhead
> +  2-3 microseconds per character on my machine, in Java interperted
> mode.)

We already have it in the tree.... Pier wrote it and I remind he told me
its faster than this...

Might want to check with the C2 tree...

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.