Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Philippe Muller <mu...@yahoo.com> on 2001/10/29 15:58:40 UTC

Install Tomcat 4.0 on Linux (need help)

Here is my storry . Can anyone help?

downloaded the .bin files for i386 Linux for Tomcat
from jakarta.

files expanded just fine under /usr/local
then proceeded to install did the following:

export CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/jacarta-tomcat-4.0.1
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.3.1_01
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/stratup.sh

then went to me browser....http://localhost:8080

nothing happens.......Tomcat is not running..

anyone knows why?

Thanks for your help.

Philippe.

Re: Install Tomcat 4.0 on Linux (need help)

Posted by Geoffrey Gallaway <ge...@sin.sloth.org>.
Please, mail us the output of startup.sh..

Geoffeg

This one time, at band camp, Philippe Muller wrote:
> 8080 is not bound and yes that is in my PATH....yet
> still not working.
>
> Thanks
>
> Philippe
> --- Geoffrey Gallaway <ge...@sin.sloth.org> wrote:
> > Might help to paste the output of startup.sh (im
> > guessing you ran that
> > command and not the mis-speled "stratup.sh").
> >
> > Few ideas:
> > * Something is allready bound to port 8080
> > * You didn't $JAVA_HOME/bin to your PATH:
> > 	export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin
> >
> > Geoffeg
> >
> > This one time, at band camp, Philippe Muller wrote:
> > >
> > > Here is my storry . Can anyone help?
> > >
> > > downloaded the .bin files for i386 Linux for
> > Tomcat
> > > from jakarta.
> > >
> > > files expanded just fine under /usr/local
> > > then proceeded to install did the following:
> > >
> > > export
> > CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/jacarta-tomcat-4.0.1
> > > export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.3.1_01
> > > $CATALINA_HOME/bin/stratup.sh
> > >
> > > then went to me browser....http://localhost:8080
> > >
> > > nothing happens.......Tomcat is not running..
> > >
> > > anyone knows why?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help.
> > >
> > > Philippe.

> > <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> > --
> > Geoffrey Gallaway || "Rex unto my cleeb, and thou
> > shalt have everlasting
> > geoffeg@sloth.org || blort."
> > D e v o r z h u n || 				-- Zorp 3:16
> >
> > --
> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Geoffrey Gallaway || In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot
geoffeg@sloth.org || of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad
D e v o r z h u n || move.                            -- Douglas Adams

Re: Install Tomcat 4.0 on Linux (need help)

Posted by Philippe Muller <mu...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Geoffrey Gallaway <ge...@sin.sloth.org>.

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Does Tomcat actually start and then die?  Take a look at catalina.out in the
CATALINA_HOME$/logs directory for info on what happened.  It might show you
what Tomcat is having a problem with.

--David Smith

Posted by Philippe Muller <mu...@yahoo.com>.
thank you, It was a mail typo...