Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> on 2002/12/30 02:25:24 UTC

MBox format

Danny/Noel,

Did you say you had spoken with an author of an mbox java implementation?

I checked out EyeBrowse which has a read-only implementation of mbox
files, and found a decent description of mbox
(http://email.about.com/library/weekly/aa111300a.htm), and with a regex
library in James, this looks really easy.  Actually looking over
eyebrowse's mbox parser (all of 313 lines), I don't know if it wouldn't
just be faster to write it ourself.

Anyway, I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone's already going to
work on this, but seems like I can throw this together for 3.0 head
without much work.

--
Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies

Re: MBox format

Posted by Serge Sozonoff <se...@globalbeach.com>.
Hi Serge,

This apeared in an earlier post.

http://javamaildir.sourceforge.net/

Serge

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Ajit George wrote:
> Serge -
>
> I think there was previous discussion about using maildir.  There's lots
> of discussion (bordering on religious wars) around about maildir vs.
> mbox.  My two cents: mbox is very slow for large (5000+ messages)
> folders, and file corruption will corrupt whole folders instead of a
> single message.  Also, the trend in filesystem optimization is in favor
> of small files.
>
> No reason not to implement both, especially given that mbox is
> relatively easy, but I think maildir is more robust.

Ah ok, yeah maildir looks cool, but I'm not sure how you'd implement it
since you're supposed to be changing files modified times.  Maybe I read
the spec wrong.

But anyway, yeah if that talk was about maildir, then yeah I'm happy to
do this work for mbox.  Like you said, it's not the best thing out
there, but that's ok... hopefully with some tools in the future James
will make it that much easier to move between these repository
implementations.

--
Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies

Re: MBox format

Posted by Ajit George <ga...@kurianinc.com>.
Serge -

I think there was previous discussion about using maildir.  There's lots
of discussion (bordering on religious wars) around about maildir vs.
mbox.  My two cents: mbox is very slow for large (5000+ messages)
folders, and file corruption will corrupt whole folders instead of a
single message.  Also, the trend in filesystem optimization is in favor
of small files.

No reason not to implement both, especially given that mbox is
relatively easy, but I think maildir is more robust.

Ajit

Re: MBox format

Posted by Matthew Bishop <ma...@thebishops.org>.
Mbox support definitely improves the migration story.

Matt Bishop
matt@thebishops.org

"We are all here on earth to help others.  What I can't figure out is what
the others are here for."
    - W. H. Auden

Re: MBox format

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> If we want James to be used by ASF, it must IIUC work with Eyebrowse.
> And Eyebrowse uses mbox format.
>
> So the options are:
> 1) store as mbox
> 2) make a simple conversion script
> 3) make eyebrowse use the James format

I'd like to get mbox supported just because I think a lot of people have
mail in this format, and some admins may want to share with apps (such
as eyebrowse).

But if we need to do this to get James used by ASF, then it's that much
bigger of a carrot hanging out there. :)

--
Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies

Re: MBox format

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Serge Knystautas wrote:
> Danny/Noel,
>
> Did you say you had spoken with an author of an mbox java implementation?
>
> I checked out EyeBrowse which has a read-only implementation of mbox
> files, and found a decent description of mbox
> (http://email.about.com/library/weekly/aa111300a.htm), and with a regex
> library in James, this looks really easy.  Actually looking over
> eyebrowse's mbox parser (all of 313 lines), I don't know if it wouldn't
> just be faster to write it ourself.
>
> Anyway, I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone's already going to
> work on this, but seems like I can throw this together for 3.0 head
> without much work.

If we want James to be used by ASF, it must IIUC work with Eyebrowse.
And Eyebrowse uses mbox format.

So the options are:
1) store as mbox
2) make a simple conversion script