Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> on 2018/02/26 11:06:18 UTC

The logo, once and for all? (was AW: Merged to master (was Re: A NetBeans website proposal))

Hi Chris, all,

The situation with the logo is that there was a voting at [1] somewhere
in 2016, the most voted logo is not the one with colors, so using the
one you suggest (with colors) instead of the most voted one does not
seem to be very Apache compliant, as it would be against a voting result.

Also in late 2017 we opened an Apache NetBeans logo contest at [2],
which has not been closed yet. There has been a submission in early
february 2018 (i.e., a few days ago) from Junichi (see [3]), which is
also pretty cool, IMHO, and also deserves our consideration.

To end up the logo discussion once and for all I propose:

- Announcing closing the contest within a few days.
- Announce a voting in the mailing list, as per the Apache way.

I know this is probably lots of bureaucracy, but that's how things are
expected to work in this Apache world, AFAIK (and please correct me if
I'm wrong).

Kind regards,
Antonio

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/NetBeans+Logo

[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-145

[3]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12909573/apache-netbeans-logo.png

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi again,

So, to keep things moving, shall we announce closing the contest by,
say, until March the 1st?

And start the voting during March 2nd, 3rd and 4th?

Or is that too fast? ;-)

Cheers,
Antonio

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

AW: The logo, once and for all? (was AW: Merged to master (was Re: ANetBeans website proposal))

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
I know all of that, the page in the wiki was from me, because I didn’t know the real voting process for that. Now we have a ticket, someone created it in Q4 last year I think. But there was no Progress until now. So no real announcement that someone should create logos and adding stuff. Junichi was one of 2 I think who created a logo proposal. So for now there is no contest that can closed, or do we accept that, what we already have? Then I’m really fine with that.

I only wanted to give a hint, that we should choose the SVG variant of the logo on the new draft, not the png file, because on my Screen it Looks blurry. I only wanted to mention, that I use the SVG variant, of the other, colorful logo. I don’t wanted to Change it. Only using SVG instead of PNG.

So great that we have a vote soon, I thought it is Apache way to have the vote in JIRA, as someone other said that to me. But Mailing list is also ok, if this is going to happen.

Cheers

Chris

Re: AW: The logo, once and for all? (was AW: Merged to master (was Re: ANetBeans website proposal))

Posted by Daniel Trebbien <dt...@gmail.com>.
Also, this is the replacement icon that I use for VirtualBox:
https://jasonzigrino.deviantart.com/art/VirtualBox-For-OS-X-Yosemite-500664140

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by John Muczynski <jo...@gmail.com>.
I realize a monochrome icon might win a popularity vote, but I'll take a
colorful icon every day. Call me vain.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 at 11:24 Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:

> I'd say the icon without the typography.

Agreed, so +1 from me to that and your schedule.

Given the necessarily short schedule, etc., and as we find our feet at
Apache, it might be good to keep in mind that any decision could get
reviewed around either next major release or when we become a top-level
project - ie. it's not a vote on something that will be fixed for all
eternity! ;-)

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: AW: T-Shirts (was Fwd: Re: The logo, once and for all? (was AW: Merged tomaster (was Re: A NetBeans website proposal)))

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Me wanna netbeans t-shirt now! :-)

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
I like that "Powered by NetBeans..." logo idea!

Thanks, Bertrand,
Antonio

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eduard <in...@dejongfrz.nl>.
Indeed, the icon without typgraphy should be the item to vote upon this
time.
The next discussion and a subsequent vote should be on the elements that
we want to present in the typography, for instance:
-the word "apache"
-the feather
-a 'badge' with "IDE"  (with a possible alternate badge for the
framework, like "AFW".
An other question is if the words "Net" and "Beans" should be with
distinct typography.

Cheers
Eduard

Posted by Eduard Karel de Jong <ed...@dejongfrz.nl>.