Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Adaryl \"Bob\" Wakefield, MBA" <ad...@hotmail.com> on 2014/07/14 23:52:33 UTC

clarification on HBASE functionality

HBASE uses HDFS to store it's data correct?

B.

Re: clarification on HBASE functionality

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
HBase will take advantage of HDFS specific features if they are available
but can run on anything that has a Hadoop FileSystem driver. Gluster is an
option. Maybe Lustre and Ceph also.

If you plan on dedicating storage to Cassandra, then you don't have to
worry about managing a distributed filesystem. However, if you plan to
deploy and use a distributed filesystem for useful work already, and want
to run a scale out store on the same infrastructure, then HBase can be
convenient.

You can run into trouble if using a Hadoop FileSystem implementation that
doesn't guarantee you can immediately read what you've written, so don't
use S3.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: clarification on HBASE functionality

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: clarification on HBASE functionality

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: clarification on HBASE functionality

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: clarification on HBASE functionality

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.