Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Martin A. Langhoff" <ma...@scim.net> on 2000/02/29 14:00:35 UTC

[Embperl] Performance problems?

hi,

    I'm benching my development apache, with a plain hello world script,
and found that the performance goes:

    plain HTML          --> 226 hits per sec
    Perl CGI script     -->   3.26
    mod_perl-registry   --> 100
    mod_perl-embperl    -->  30

    and I'm worried because I expected Embperl to perform around the
same performance that Apache::Registry (based on
http://www.chamas.com/bench/hello_bysystem.html).

    I've configured both mod_perl and Embperl with Stas' guide. Is there
any obvious thing I might be missing?

    Thanks !

ml
--                                                         --
--                                                         --
    - Martin Langhoff @ S C I M  Multimedia Technology -
      - http://www.scim.net      | God is real until  -
      - mailto:mlangho@scim.net  | declared integer   -

Re: [Embperl] Performance problems?

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
"Martin A. Langhoff" wrote:

> hi,
>
>     I'm benching my development apache, with a plain hello world script,
> and found that the performance goes:
>
>     plain HTML          --> 226 hits per sec
>     Perl CGI script     -->   3.26
>     mod_perl-registry   --> 100
>     mod_perl-embperl    -->  30
>
>     and I'm worried because I expected Embperl to perform around the
> same performance that Apache::Registry (based on
> http://www.chamas.com/bench/hello_bysystem.html).

Also note the specific options used for the test listed at:
  http://www.chamas.com/bench/hello_bysystem.html#embperl

Embperl
[- print OUT "Hello "; -]World

## Optimized with:
##      PerlSetEnv      EMBPERL_OPTIONS 8083
##      PerlSetEnv      EMBPERL_DEBUG 0

-- Joshua
Joshua Chamas			        Chamas Enterprises Inc.
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring	Huntington Beach, CA  USA

RE: [Embperl] Performance problems?

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
hi,

>     I'm benching my development apache, with a plain hello world script,
> and found that the performance goes:
>
>     plain HTML          --> 226 hits per sec
>     Perl CGI script     -->   3.26
>     mod_perl-registry   --> 100
>     mod_perl-embperl    -->  30
>
>     and I'm worried because I expected Embperl to perform around the
> same performance that Apache::Registry (based on
> http://www.chamas.com/bench/hello_bysystem.html).
>
>     I've configured both mod_perl and Embperl with Stas' guide. Is there
> any obvious thing I might be missing?

Embperl has a greater startup overhead then Apache::Registry, because it has
to setup more things before the request. This startup overhead does count
much more in a simple hello world script, then it does in a real page. If
you want some bechmarks that tell you more, then how great the startup
overhead is, then try a real world page.

Also, as other pointed out, you can play around with the OPTIONS to disable,
what you don't need.

Gerald

P.S. I currently working on the next version of Embperl, which will get a
totaly rewritten parser and more ability for caching. Beneath other
advatages this will also improve the performance.

E-Mail:     richter@ecos.de         Voice:    +49 6133 925151

RE: [Embperl] Performance problems?

Posted by Alex Schmelkin <al...@davanita.com>.
Perhaps try turning off many of the default embperl features that you don't
use in your scripts, such as automatic html form handling (if this applies
to your application).  Almost everything that happens automagically for you
in Embperl is customizable and can be shut off to save on processing speed:

This may help you:
	http://perl.apache.org/embperl/Embperl.pod.3.html#EMBPERL_OPTIONS

Otherwise, post some more detailed sections of your code and
configuration...

-Alex