Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tom H <to...@limepepper.co.uk> on 2010/07/17 11:14:35 UTC

[users@httpd] how to isolate nfs subdirectories from killing Apache when nfs server is not responding.

HI all,

I have an httpd-2.2.3 server running on centos5.4 x86_64

I have a couple of nfs mounted subdirectories like so;
xx.xx.xx.xx:imagesXXX on /var/www/html/images/imagesXXX type nfs4
(ro,soft,timeo=10,retrans=0,proto=tcp,intr,addr=xx.xx.xx.xx)

Every so often the nfs server goes away, this has been due to hardware
failure, disk corruption, or human error.

However despite trying lots of different mount settings, including
hard/soft nfs/nfs4, tcp/udp, various timeo/retrans, if the nfs server is
down, then the nfs client blocks on the request for at least a minute -
(even soft, timeo=0, retrans=0, intr)

As there is reasonable load on the server, very quickly all the
available client connections are blocked on the nfs request, and
performance goes bad.

Are there any strategies to isolate the /var/www/html/images/imagesXXX
so apache does not wait for more than say 5 seconds for the filesystem
to return?

(i don't want to make any system wide changes, say to tcp, apache or
system IO settings, as apache is running perfectly well in all other
regards)

Many thanks
Tom

# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.4 (Final)
# uname -a
Linux serverXX 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jan 20 07:32:21 EST 2010
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
# rpm -qa | grep httpd
httpd-2.2.3-43.el5.centos