Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by hsinchen <hc...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/13 16:35:46 UTC

Karaf + ACE + OBR Usage Scenario

Hi,

I have several question and need someone's advise for clarification.

Using ACE to provision bundles to targets requires a complete ACE feature
with all bundles of an application. The questions are
1) Could ACE auto resolve the dependency bundles as a feature for provision?
2) We could use obr:deploy to deploy a bundle with its dependence bundles on
Karaf. Does ACE support it?
3) For a Cellar cluster, we would use cluster:obr-deploy group bundleId
command to deploy bundles and its dependency bundles to all nodes. How does
ACE work with a Cellar cloud?

Re: Karaf + ACE + OBR Usage Scenario

Posted by hsinchen <hc...@gmail.com>.
Hi, JB,

1. I have tried obr:deploy in Karaf. It has no problem.
For ACE part, do you mean that the dependency bundle (Bundle B) will be
added into ACE UI (Client) - Artifacts panel when I add a bundle (Bundle A)
manually also in ACE UI?
I try to add bundles (Bundle A depends on Bundle B) into OBR and use ACE UI
to add it the bundle A into Artifact panel in ACE UI. It seems that the
Bundle B is not added into ACE UI Artifact panel.

2. Do you mean that the dependency bundle (Bundle B) will be provisioned
into targets when we uses ACE to provision a bundle (Bundle A)?
If yes, if the dependency bundles could be removed after we remove the
provisioned bundle in ACE UI?

If ACE could not auto-resolve all of dependency bundles, it means that we
need to add all of bundles of an application including 3rd library bundles
into ACE and provision all of them to targets.

The purpose is that we intends to use Karaf to build a cluster and try to
figure out the overall picture from development, build, deployment,
provision. If no ACE, an provision tool, it means that we should leverage
other tools like puppet for provision. But, we know that ACE is for
target-base provision. For a cluster, it seems no support as you replied at
#3.

For Cellar, we know that we could deploy bundles with cluster:obr-deploy.
Then, all bundles could be auto deploy to all of nodes of a cluster. So, we
are thinking what ACE could help. Any advise for the whole process (Maven ->
Jenkins -> Deploy -> Provision -> Cellar) is welcome. Thanks.

Re: Karaf + ACE + OBR Usage Scenario

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

1/ yes using OBR (but not feature), I worked on the Karaf features
support in ACE, but it's not yet included.
2/ yes it does, it's actually the default behavior (via bundlerepository)
3/ there's no support of Cellar in ACE

By the way, what's the purpose of ACE if you use Cellar ?

Regards
JB

On 04/13/2015 04:35 PM, hsinchen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have several question and need someone's advise for clarification.
>
> Using ACE to provision bundles to targets requires a complete ACE feature
> with all bundles of an application. The questions are
> 1) Could ACE auto resolve the dependency bundles as a feature for provision?
> 2) We could use obr:deploy to deploy a bundle with its dependence bundles on
> Karaf. Does ACE support it?
> 3) For a Cellar cluster, we would use cluster:obr-deploy group bundleId
> command to deploy bundles and its dependency bundles to all nodes. How does
> ACE work with a Cellar cloud?

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net