Posted to user@kudu.apache.org by Mark Meyer <ma...@smaato.com> on 2018/03/05 11:15:32 UTC

Kudu as a Graphite backend

Hi List,
has anybody experiences running Kudu as a Graphite backend in production?
I've been looking at the samples repository, but have been unsure,
primarily because of the 'samples' tag associated with the code.

Best, Mark

--
Mark Meyer
Systems Engineer

Valentinskamp 70, Emporio, 19th Floor
20355 Hamburg
T: ­0049 (40) 3480 949 0
F: 0049 (40) 492 19 055

The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is
intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not
distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is
please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any
copy of it from your computer or paper files.

Re: Kudu as a Graphite backend

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Mark,

Yea, I wrote the original Graphite integration in the samples repo several
years ago (prior to Kudu 0.5 even), but it was more of a quick prototype in
order to have a demo of the Python client rather than something meant to be
used in a production scenario. Of course with some work it could probably
be updated and made more "real".

You may also be interested in the 'kudu-ts' project that Dan Burkert
started: https://github.com/danburkert/kudu-ts

It provides an OpenTSDB-compatible interface on top of Kudu. Unfortunately
it's also somewhat incomplete but could provide a decent starting point for
a time series workload.

It would be great if you wanted to contribute to either the graphite-kudu
integration or kudu-ts. Neither is getting the love they deserve right now.

-Todd

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 7:38 AM, Paul Brannan <pa...@thesystech.com>
wrote:

> Do you want to use kudu as a backend for carbon (i.e. have graphite/carbon
> receive metrics and write them to kudu), or do you want to use graphite-web
> as a frontend for timeseries you already have in kudu?  Both are mostly
> straightforward; see e.g. https://github.com/criteo/
> biggraphite/tree/master/biggraphite/plugins for an example of each.
> AFAICT the examples (https://github.com/cloudera/
> kudu-examples/tree/master/python/graphite-kudu) are just a graphite-web
> finder; you'd still need a carbon backend for storage, unless you insert
> the data through a different mechanism.
>
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 6:15 AM, Mark Meyer <ma...@smaato.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi List,
>> has anybody experiences running Kudu as a Graphite backend in production?
>> I've been looking at the samples repository, but have been unsure,
>> primarily because of the 'samples' tag associated with the code.
>>
>> Best, Mark
>>
>> --
>> Mark Meyer
>> Systems Engineer
>> mark.meyer@smaato.com
>> Smaato Inc.
>> San Francisco – New York – Hamburg – Singapore
>> www.smaato.com
>>
>> Valentinskamp 70
>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=Valentinskamp+70&entry=gmail&source=g>,
>> Emporio, 19th Floor
>> 20355 Hamburg
>> T: ­0049 (40) 3480 949 0
>> F: 0049 (40) 492 19 055
>>
>> The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and
>> is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are
>> not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
>> distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is
>> strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
>> please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any
>> copy of it from your computer or paper files.

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Kudu as a Graphite backend