Posted to mime4j-dev@james.apache.org by David Leangen <ap...@leangen.net> on 2020/05/15 05:25:52 UTC

public vs. private packages

Hi,

I am a big fan and long-time user of OSGi. I got a little excited when I noticed that these projects are compiled as bundles. However, my excitement quickly waned when I noticed that there does not really seem to be any good separation between API and implementation. Is there a particular reason for this?

If not, perhaps it would be nice to separate the public packages from the private packages. This is a good practice that OSGi helps with a lot. I don’t mind doing this because the project does not seem to be too large. If the code is not too tangled, it should be easy to do. I have not yet looked at the code, but I wanted to ask opinions here first as to whether or not it is worthwhile to think about this.

Does anybody object to moving around the implementation classes a bit to achieve separation of public / private packages?

Cheers,
=David